Exposing the youngsters to the X

Tom Ginefra

True Classic
I have spent 3 of the 4 previous weekends helping my youngest daughter shop for her first "newish" car. My only stipulation for my participation in this masochistic endeavor was that I drive, and we take the X. Yesterday, (after kissing many frogs) she finally found what she wanted and we made the deal. As we drove around the lot trying to locate the car we had seen online, the X was getting lots of stares from folks inside and outside of the dealership. Once inside we were greeted by a nice young man who would be our salesperson. As we were waiting for the paperwork to be drawn up, the salesman and I were talking cars and he was telling me about the S2000 he owns. We had plenty of time to kill, so he joined my daughter and I outside for some air and asked if he could check out my X. He was pouring over the car and really liked it. I jokingly asked him of he wanted to go for a "test drive", and before I could finish my sentence, he said "hell yeah!" and opened the passenger door. The dealer is on a highway and the first turn was an off ramp that's a 90 degree sweeper with a posted 15 mph exit speed. Instead of braking I accelerated and we hit the ramp at about 45. From that moment-until we returned back to the dealership about 10 minutes later-I lost track of how many times he screamed Holy Sh_t!!! He couldn't believe a 45 year old street car (with stock suspension) could handle like that. I believe we may have another convert!
Unbeknownst to me... this is what she sent to her sisters
Resized_IMG_5522_1712540584091.jpeg

Last edited:
Honestly I think half of it is no one seeing these cars out and about. I think I’ve only seen 1 other x1/9 not counting the ones at our house, my uncles house, or the fiat freak out event.

Whenever I tel people about it I tell them they have no idea what it is so I tell them it’s an Italian angular Miata. Then their ears perk up.

Same thing here, I have a couple younger car guys in my department. Told them I bought an X1/9 and none of them had any idea what I was talking about. My quest is to introduce the young to this car. I've not seen another X1/9 in Chicago for at least 25 years.

When I get this car on the road I plan to be driving it a lot so the locals will get to know it, just hope the local law enforcement does not take a special interest in it. 😈

I hope the purchase of your daughter's car went well. Sounds like you have laid a good foundation with the sales guy!

I hope the purchase of your daughter's car went well. Sounds like you have laid a good foundation with the sales guy!
Yes, thanks! She bought a beautiful, low mileage 2019 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring. Still has 6 months on the factory drive train warranty and she also bought a "very good" bumper to bumper extended warranty. After countless d-bag salespeople and "finance mgr/closers", (most of which we walked out on) it was a pleasure to deal with a nice group at a smaller dealership who were "regular people". They gave her a great deal, threw in a bunch of stuff for free, and the car she bought was her favorite of the many she test drove. Now she just has to pay for it!

Back