Fiat 130 coupé| Tyrrell's Classic Workshop

I don't see it. Big car stance, looks like a four door and grossly underpowered. Interior reminds me of my dad's XJ6.

I don't see it. Big car stance, looks like a four door and grossly underpowered. Interior reminds me of my dad's XJ6.
Yes but an XJ6C now that would be a fun car to own…

A76391B1-EA70-4A3C-B299-F4D367DE0094.jpeg

This particular one had a V8 added which could lead to a 5 speed manual and….

Crap its still British…

:)

They were very elegant looking inside and out but not what I would call a fun car to actually drive. Dad bought them for my mom who got tired of having it die and bought a Honda Civic hatchback and was totally and extremely happy with it!

I like it! Not sure why it's called a coupe, definitely a 2 door sedan. He goes on and on, but he is right it's a great engine note!👍🏽

They add a C to the nomenclature of the Jaguar model and call that a coupe... and that is entirely the same body shape as the 4 door version

A 130 Berlina (130B - B being the 3200 version) is just a totally different shape than the coupe (130BC), with the same mechanical running gear and a lot of the same interior carried over as well. The Berlina bodywork was made by Fiat, whereas the coupe bodies were made by Pininfarina, so not even on the same production line.

They are nice to drive, not particularly fast (as they as quite large and heavy) but have a great road "feel" ... they were often described as being the best contemporary large sedan/saloon vehicles of the time, well ahead of the contemporary MB/BMW/Jaguar.

The 2400 Fiat Dino inherited the same rear suspension / IRS as the 130, and used the same ZF manual transmission (with a different bellhousing)

All 130's sold in Australia were Auto trans, but the guy in the video is incorrect about the manual trans never being available in RHD versions, as a RHD clutch pedal / clutch cable appears in the 130BC parts book.

130 Berlina
Fiat_130B.jpg

130 Coupe
Fiat_130BC.jpg

SteveC

Last edited:
I just want the engine to make the Lancia Montecarlo what it was intended to be at birth!

Now that would be an interesting project, not aware of anyone that has done that conversion. A friend of mine was asked to do some tune up work on a 130 and he told the owner there were NO parts for that car in the US and he would have to try and track them down in Italy...which he was not really in the mind to do.

Not sure if any of the prototype X1/8 cars exist and finding a 130 engine here in the states would be pure luck and as you said all parts would need to come from Italy. Much easier to do a Busso swap, complete with the transmission, technically still in the family since Alfa became part of Fiat. I keep looking for a 164 5 speed donor. But seeing the 130 this morning made me think about it again.

I just want the engine to make the Lancia Montecarlo what it was intended to be at birth!
I'll sell you an engine, I have a couple in storage... damn big and heavy though! Not too sure what transaxle you'd mount it to. They were only 165hp but have 185lb/ft of torque.

My Dad twin turbocharged one, back in the 1990's ... I was lucky enough to run that engine in at the racetrack, I saw 2 bar of boost and 7k plus RPM down the main straight in 5th... we worked that out to over 270km/h.

SteveC

i always liked the berlina.. really clean style and elegant lines..not so much the coupe..berlinas are rare as hens theeth in italy nowdays..fiat sold very few of them, the most were "auto blu", that means politicians\public CEOs state cars

Back