Seeking an image of a specific X1/9 restoration

dirtywaterfab

Daily Driver
tl/dnr: seeking an image of a DYI X1/9 restoration which included a sheetmetal box structure installed longitudinally between the base of the B-pillars

hello, everybody. hope this finds you well.

there's been a flurry of activity on my X build now that i'm out of hibernation. i'll be posting after i complete some important milestones.

in the interim, i'm looking for an image of a DYI X1/9 restoration where the builder fabricated a box-like sheetmetal structure installed longitudinally between the base of the B-pillars. a distingushing feature was the inclusion of a notch on the bottom to provide clearance for the coolant tubes, shifter and such.

any and all assistance greatly appreciated.

A remember a series where one of our members decided to do a lot of undercar reinforcements......maybe the pic you're looking for was from those posts. We need Mr. Search (aka Jim) to find that!!!

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but does have a lot of useful related stuff.

A remember a series where one of our members decided to do a lot of undercar reinforcements......maybe the pic you're looking for was from those posts. We need Mr. Search (aka Jim) to find that!!!
My memory is telling me that it was someone who just wanted to strength the chassis for the sake of strengthening it, not as part of a K20 or other swap. At least that's what I'm thinking the OP might be referring to.

Dan, are you thinking of Darin's (@darwoodious) build? His goal is to make the chassis as stiff as possible and has done a lot of modifications / additions to get there. Including some pretty big changes - although off hand I don't recall if a box section across the B pillars was one of them.

I haven't gone back through it to see, but this might be the thread you are thinking of:

Or, perhaps @dirtywaterfab indeed meant "longitudinal" and is thinking of the reinforcement over the center tunnel around the shifter - park brake area (where it usually cracks)? There's been a few threads on that. If that's what you mean then I should have some pics for you....let me know.

Dan, are you thinking of Darin's (@darwoodious) build? His goal is to make the chassis as stiff as possible and has done a lot of modifications / additions to get there. Including some pretty big changes - although off hand I don't recall if a box section across the B pillars was one of them.

I haven't gone back through it to see, but this might be the thread you are thinking of:
Yep, Project Overkill! And my memory was faulty, it was part of a K20 swap.🤪🤪

Back