Rear speaker shelf

Dayton Tom

Tom Marcellino
Was asked how I did the rear speakers... hope this helps...

1/4" luan flooring material, 47 3/4" across the top edge, 48 3/4" across the bottom, so trapezoidal... cut the speaker holes, covered with vinyl, cut the vinyl for the holes...

In the pick with my finger, there is channel in the rubber that was perfect for this, right about 1/4" wide, so board with material snugged right in. I don't know if this is a '74 difference or not?

Couple of sheet metal screws with interior upholstery washers to hold it down. Strip of 1/2" aluminum painted black across the front.

The sub mounting is 1/2" plywood, covered with speaker box felt and bolted to a cross-bar I fashioned across the opening of the spare tire well. (hope I don't get a flat!)

newrearshelf.jpg

speakers.jpg

speakers2.jpg

Last edited:
Love your THINKING Tom...

That makes TWO for you that I know of.

I would think you could still fit a spare in there if the sub woofer was positioned properly. I bet you have your amp in there also.

I purchase one of theose spare tire subs years ago and still have not wired it. I figure I gotta get under the carpet and dash and into the front where I mounted the amp and if I was gonna do that, I needed to replace the carpeting and the seats or covers while I was at it.

So... I've doen nothing! What a bum I've become. Someday soon though...

Later...

Back