Considering Fabricating My Own Exhaust

lookforjoe

True Classic
'87 w/AC

Looked through various threads, but couldn't find specific info on optimal tubing size & muffler dimensions that others have found to be successful both in terms of fitment & overall sound levels.

Basically, I'm weighing my options, and may just keep the stock manifold & fabricate the rest. I don't want to cut the rear grille, so I would be planning on cutting the left rear body panel if going for a dual tip design.

Any tips or suggestions?

EDIT: Found halojm's thread with some good info for starters
MGandini's, no specs

Last edited:
If I was doing it....

I think that I would obtain a dual outlet manifold, then go two pipes in to one to hook to the catalytic converter. OleRascal Mike has a setup that uses the dual outlet manifold and has the pipes going through the existing opening in the firewall. Ping him and he may be able to provide a picture.

Or you could run two longer pipes going under the crossmember before the join.

For a street machine with very few modifications, I would run the stock cat converter. For higher performance, high flow cats are available.

Downstream of the catalytic converter, it is easy to run a 2" or 2.25" turbo muffler from either Magnaflow or DynoMax and have the outlet come out the existing spot on the right side.

The cat back part reflects what I built (about 3 times) and ran on my '81 fuel injection X. The sound is good and can be tuned by the free flowing nature of the particular muffler - glass pack = louder with resonances, small turbo muffler = a bit quieter w/out resonances, larger turbo muffler = rich sound that mainly lets loose when you are on it.

Oh, and don't forget to install a bung for the O2 sensor. Best spot will be just downstream of the 2 to 1 join.

Ciao,

DO YOU HAVE EMISSION INSPECTION?

I don't have any kind of inspection at all in Kansas, and my catalytic converter "magically" had all the guts disappear. If I do an exhaust, the rest of it will disappear too.

It seems like it would be simple to modify an existing header to clear the AC compressor. That would be my first choice, rather than invent something from scratch.

I Have been toying around with the idea of making an exhaust out of 2 motorcycle exhausts, my buddies uncle owns a racing exhause company and told me if he has any damaged cans i can have them, no idea how loud it would be but here is my basic idea, he ends would be a constant radius bend not the right angles but you get a basic idea the inlet and outlet of the cans are 2.5 inch so i would also use reducers sown to 1.75
Picture5-1.png

So.....

....I'm shopping around for the muffler, and my local AP doesn't have any cross reference for "700069".

Looks like Ricardo used either 2.5" or 2.25" piping..

Online, I can find camaro mufflers in various configurations in terms of overall length & I/O OD...

This one is only $40 and shorter overall than the one Dave used....

OVAL MUFFLER WITH DUAL OUTLET - ID: 2.25", OD: 2.25", BODY LENGTHXWIDTHXHEIGHT: 12.6"X9"X4", OVERALL LENGTH: 18.8

kv150117.jpg

I can get 1 or 2 lengths of 2.25" aluminized steel mandrel bend for $20 ea....

45and180.jpg

...and a 16x12x2.25" cat for $35 from the same vendor...

590007.jpg

I wish youse guys listed the specs on the parts you've used :rolleyes2:

Muffler Dimensions

Hussein, You'll have to ensure the muffler you show is a crossflow with inlet on one side and outlets on two sides. As for dimension for the muffler I used, below is the specification sheet from Apex Muffler.
Dave
Exhaust-2.jpg

Thanks, Jim.

I tried to use that PN before, but the local AP couldn't cross reference it to any of the lines they carry...

Thanks Ricardo.

I may just go with a Walker dual outlet, I can get that for about $40 wholesale.

Is your piping 2.25" or 2.5"?

This is what I ended up with...

...Allison Auto Header followed by..

Camaro 12266 rear muffler
X19exhaust.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

mig welding is not my forte..

pass side

X19_0923.jpg

hanger detail

X19_0924.jpg

Tail pipe(s)

X19_0921.jpg

Driver's side

X19_0922.jpg

overall look

X19_0919.jpg

Last edited:
How do you like it?

I really like the look, Hussein. Good Work!

How would you describe the sound (video?) and are you pleased with how it sounds? Any noticable performance improvement?

I really like the look, Hussein. Good Work!

How would you describe the sound (video?) and are you pleased with how it sounds? Any noticable performance improvement?

It sounds pretty good to me! I took some video footage, but I can only upload it on my desktop Mac, no iMovie on my laptop. I'll try to get it up tomorrow.

Since I did the head, cam, header & exhaust all at the same time, I can't say what the exhaust does. I drove the car 8 miles with only the cat installed, and adding the muffler certainly did not cause any loss of power.

looks great :D
don't worry about ya welding, you will either get better or like me not bother too much and just get stuff welded...

Here's a short video

can't figure the embed.. :hrmph:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPMzjMom_Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPMzjMom_Q[/ame]

Back