Yugo parts for 128?

carl

True Classic
I'm working on bringing a 76 128 wagon back to life. I got it as an empty shell with just a suspension and dashboard. Bought a bunch of parts from Voss but still need basics like a motor and cooling system. I want a 1500.

I have had many 128s and Xs in the past but never really looked into Yugos as parts donors.

What parts from a Yugo would swap directly into a 128 and did any Yugos have the 1500 motor?

carl

Pretty sure most suspension and steering parts and directly interchangeable. The Yugo had the 1100 and 1300 but never the 1500. The Strada/Ritmo did have a 1500 though.

I have a block apart you can have for free
dolla a pound at Greyhound for shipping

Just the short block

Chris
Oaktown

Hi Carl,

I had a 1976 128 Sedan 25 years ago. I was 15, and I started learning to work on cars back then.

We got a 1500 from a Strada. We used the 1300 head on it, but I can't remember for sure if that was to up the compression, or lower engine height so that the hood would close.

We also had to switch the either the cam pulley or the crank pulley,... Can't remember which one, but the pullies have to be from the same engine else your cam could end up 180' out of time.

We had to put the 1300 flywheel on the 1500 engine in order to get the bell housing to clear,... And to answer your question, yes, the Yugo 4 speed that we got from a 1980's something hatch was a perfect fit,.. It was also a little taller making for lower rpm's at freeway speeds.

All these years later, I miss that car. I became a member of this site 5 minutes ago, hoping to find another one someday soon.

THe Yugo GV came with the 1100 motor. The GVX and Cabrios had the big block 1300.

There are a some differences in the suspension. The 128 uses radius rods to locate the control arms (which are the same). The yugo uses a sway bar. The axles and hubs are the same. (I have lots of these if your interested.) I also have lots of used struts for the yugo's including a set of Boge and some X1/9 rear koni's and a pair of Rear 128 Koni's. I have been hording them for a while. Originally for the Cabrio that I sold. I don't see my self getting another.

Getting there

The wagon is progressing. It will have a transaxle from a 128 that I got from Dave Voss and the engine is coming out of a 1500 X 1/9. The suspension is now complete. My initial query had more to do with what Yugo stuff would work on my car as I had gotten into my parts shopping.

carl

Back