Thoughts from Abarth owners

Felipe

Low mileage
I've been "jonesing" for an Abarth ever since I drove one. It seems that there are plenty of used one's at reasonable prices.

In your opinions what are the car's weak points?? Your input is greatly appreciated.

I've been "jonesing" for an Abarth ever since I drove one. It seems that there are plenty of used one's at reasonable prices.

In your opinions what are the car's weak points?? Your input is greatly appreciated.

This question is better answered on the Fiat 500 forum http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/forum.php
With that said, I have owned an Abarth for almost 3 years and love it. It is fun to drive to work and at the track. The car has been reliable but there are some problems, most cosmetic. The badges have been known to flack, The rear washer drips after using, the rockers can come loose if the car is lifted wrong. These type of problems I ignore.

Real problems. The rear lifts up when you hit the brakes hard at very high speeds (track conditions). I have burned out the Electronic Stability control sensors twice. So far under warranty. The radio is poor even with the Bose upgrade./ The Perillis 17 inch Tires do not handle well.

Those are my biggest complaints. I would buy the car again.

PS. There is no back seat.

This question is better answered on the Fiat 500 forum http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/forum.php
With that said, I have owned an Abarth for almost 3 years and love it. It is fun to drive to work and at the track. The car has been reliable but there are some problems, most cosmetic. The badges have been known to flack, The rear washer drips after using, the rockers can come loose if the car is lifted wrong. These type of problems I ignore.

Real problems. The rear lifts up when you hit the brakes hard at very high speeds (track conditions). I have burned out the Electronic Stability control sensors twice. So far under warranty. The radio is poor even with the Bose upgrade./ The Perillis 17 inch Tires do not handle well.

Those are my biggest complaints. I would buy the car again.

PS. There is no back seat.

Agree on almost all points - however I have only gone thru one ESC but now turn it off most of the time. My radio works pretty well. Have had the car 1 year, 3 months.

Are you looking for a used one? I have a really nice gray one that I built out but might have to give up due to having five cars and only to legal spaces. If you are interested drop me a PM and I can share the details.. I am located on the east coast...

Ed

37,000 miles on my 2013 Abarth, no issues with mine.

As mentioned, some folks have had some minor problems, but my car has not had any. I've autocrossed (on upgraded 17 inch wheels and Dunlop Direzza tires) for the past two years with it, and again, no issues there. My original Pirelli tires (stock 16 inch wheels)have about 34,000 miles, and are about due to be replaced, although some owners report their cars have eaten these tires up in as little as 12,000 miles.

For such a small car, the turning radius is not as small as I'd like, and the 34mpg or so isn't 40 like some cars, and I agree the back seat is not very roomy for more than small children, but I still love it.

I'm on the above linked FIAT500USA forum also, and I think most Abarth owners there would echo what you've seen here, plus you'll meet all the folks that love to mod their cars, upgrade the air intake, intercoolers, use other tuning stuff, etc.

37,000 miles on my 2013 Abarth, no issues with mine.

As mentioned, some folks have had some minor problems, but my car has not had any. I've autocrossed (on upgraded 17 inch wheels and Dunlop Direzza tires) for the past two years with it, and again, no issues there. My original Pirelli tires (stock 16 inch wheels)have about 34,000 miles, and are about due to be replaced, although some owners report their cars have eaten these tires up in as little as 12,000 miles.

For such a small car, the turning radius is not as small as I'd like, and the 34mpg or so isn't 40 like some cars, and I agree the back seat is not very roomy for more than small children, but I still love it.

I'm on the above linked FIAT500USA forum also, and I think most Abarth owners there would echo what you've seen here, plus you'll meet all the folks that love to mod their cars, upgrade the air intake, intercoolers, use other tuning stuff, etc.

Speaking of upgrades; I have the go-pedal and ECU piggy back from Madness. If I was going to do just one upgrade, it would be the go-pedal accelerator mod. It is the easiest and shows the most return right away. If I was going to do just 2, well I would do the two I mentioned ;)

Late to the party!

I have nearly 27k on my '12, bought new in May of 2012... absolutely no issues. Just did a 750 mile RT up to southern Oregon with an old friend for the funeral of another old friend. The car ran flawlessly and even loaded down with two pleasingly plump old dudes and luggage and 75 to 85 mph most of the way, returned 32 mpg. Traveling buddy is a car guy (more 60s Mopar than sportscars) and he was very impressed.

The 500 Abarth should be viewed as a 2-seater sportscar, really, a lot of folks do the rear seat delete. I sold my 2007 350Z to buy it and I've never regretted that decision.

Is this where I chime in?

Do yourself a favor and pick one up, they are by far, the best new car bang for the buck when you consider the discounts that are being offered on these capable little cars.

I'm on my third Fiat 500, started with a Pop, then a 500 Sport Turbo (the detuned Abarth), and now an Abarth Cabrio. The Pop returned a lifetime 37 mpg, the 500T was about 31 mpg, and I'd expect the new abarth to be in the 28-30 range, because I drive it harder just for the exhaust note and pops/snorts on WOT upshifts ;)

To date, none of the three 500's have had to go back for unscheduled service. All any of them saw from the dealer was oil changes.

no major issues

60500miles and no major problems. The side rocker covers were replaced due to poor fit and the metal strip above the windshield had the paint come off. Car runs great. A real kick to drive hard. Tires for the car are a little limited in choice. I've got the 16 inch wheels.

Seems like the only issues seem to be the laminating on emblems and windshield trim.

Couple of questions - how well do the seat side bolsters wear. Do the cars develop squeaks and rattles.

Most importantly how do they drive in heavy rain? This is a real issue here in South Florida.

When I drove one it did seem like the most bang for the buck and that exhaust note!!

Love the Cabrio top. Had Renault turbo Fuego and Gordini R17 with similar tops.

You guys are really stoking my urge. When I test drove one I had a hard time keeping my foot out of it,

Seeing some real good prices here on 2013 and 2014 's with very low mileage.

The side skirts held on by double sided tape weren't such a good idea.

I may have to get mine done...again.

One complaint, the OEM spark plugs are NGK iridium tipped, and the manual says to replace at 32,000 miles, so if you bought them from the dealer you could be paying over 100 bucks for 4 spark plugs. I found them cheaper at local stores, Amazon, or with other brands.

On the FIAT board mentioned above, some other owners have reported very long wait times on parts, so it's probably like the 60s and 70s if you owned an import back then! Even OEM stock brake pads and rotors were said to be not available in the US from one report I read. Hopefully these are just growing pains for a brand that has just barely returned to the US.

A few of things I need to share as weak points I have found and confirmed with a couple of other local owners and shops/dealers. The driver and passenger side windows become loose in their track and will eventually begin to create wind noise when closed. The good news is it can be fixed and will be fixed under warranty. Bad news, their "fix" could be to over-tighten the fasters and stress the parts till their failure and your window falls down off the track (and won't close) - ask me how I know this one :(

Leaky clutch slave - this is an issue that has come up on the 2013's and it can be bad due to where they leak - near the throw-out rod and can get on the clutch itself. Ask me how I know this one too :(

Lastly a more fiddly annoyance is the squeaky seats. Almost sounds like an old bed mattress. It is often very faint and only under hard driving, bumps etc. They will attempt to reduce the noise by oiling the parts if you bring it in or eventually replace parts.

My cinquecento is in the shop getting the first 2 fixed...

These items sound similiar to the "old Fiat" type of problems. Strong drive trains but some niggling little issues that really shouldn't occur.

Overall not bad compared to the recalls of other manufacturers. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

Tim, to your knowledge is it difficult to remove door panels?

These items sound similiar to the "old Fiat" type of problems. Strong drive trains but some niggling little issues that really shouldn't occur.

Overall not bad compared to the recalls of other manufacturers. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

Tim, to your knowledge is it difficult to remove door panels?

No clue but I can ask my brother who converted a couple of Abarths to track cars.

Abarth 500

Ciao amici,

We (Ina my beloved wife and I) own our white 500 Abarth since 4 years from new and it is the most exciting car I ever had. Great performance, great driving, 100% reliable, no problems or issues at all.
It has got a BMC air filter and TMC tuning box 3 years ago (176 HP now), gets an oil and filter change every year and 2 month ago the first new front Pirelli tires. Next weekend we will try the little beast in Germany on the Nurburgring for some laps and extra driving lessons

saluti,

Henk Martens

The rear lifts up when you hit the brakes hard at very high speeds (track conditions). I have burned out the Electronic Stability control sensors twice. So far under warranty.

That was posted a while back on T124, for a funny photo caption thread...my caption was,

"That front splitter must be creating some wicked downforce!! I think it needs a bigger wing on the back to balance it out!"

SteveC

Back