1967 Fiat 850 Coupe - RetroRides Build

Corroded Nipple Repair :wink2:

While I had my thermostat housing out to install a temp sender, I decided to repair the outlet with better alloy from an old 817/843 water pump I was ready to throw out. The inlet pipe on the pump housing was still in good shape so I cut it off and welded it to the hat of the thermostat housing.

This picture shows the 843 water pump housing with it's inlet nipple cut off with a hacksaw and the pitted outlet nipple from the thermostat hat/cover. The A112 pump needs the same repair to salvage it for another project.
16508192266_8d49f9c64c_o.jpg

This repair may not have much value to some hobbyists, since special welding equipment and spare water pump housing are needed. But if you have a part that's difficult to find, then this type of process may be helpful.
In my case I didn't have another thermostat housing in good shape and needed some practice welding cast aluminum, so I commenced with the project.
Of course, buying new or good used parts is probably a better option when you can find the parts.

So if you still have good nipples on your old parts, maybe you can still find good use for them. (Don't know if I can keep up with Karl on his post above, but it's worth a try) :nuts:

Last edited:
Official Public Scale Results

1,470 Pounds
Visited my local public scale and the results are shown below. I think a coupes factory specification is around 1521 (dry?) which means a 51 lb difference from 1470 wet. I assume the factory spec is dry so I imagine my car being wet, the difference is a bit greater. I had about 6-7 gallons of gas, 2-3 gallons of coolant and 4 quarts of oil.
I've removed all the undercoating, rear glass and a few other parts :laugh: but also added a heavy rollbar which is probably about 50 pounds by itself.
I was hoping the result would be closer to 1300 pounds, but maybe if it had a set of Campys, I would have shaved more weight off. :)

16710012842_f55dfda433_z.jpg

Last edited:
Weight specs

1,470 Pounds
Visited my local public scale and the results are shown below. I think a coupes factory specification is around 1521 (dry?) which means a 51 lb difference from 1470 wet. I assume the factory spec is dry so I imagine my car being wet, the difference is a bit greater. I had about 6-7 gallons of gas, 2-3 gallons of coolant and 4 quarts of oil.
I've removed all the undercoating, rear glass and a few other parts :laugh: but also added a heavy rollbar which is probably about 50 pounds by itself.
I was hoping the result would be closer to 1300 pounds, but maybe if it was dry and had a set of Campys, I would have shaved more weight off. :)

For easier wet (curb) vs. dry weight comparisons, here's the "official" weight specs direct from the factory 850 Coupe Owner's Manual:

850coupeweights.jpg

So, going from factory 1588 wet to your 1470 wet, add about 8 lbs. to fill up your fuel tank all the way (for fairer comparison), that's still 110 lbs. lighter! :)

Fiat 850 Get-Together * Mikes - Lakewood CA

Some of the cars at Mikes shop - Huntington Beach Ca 3-29-15

Mikes new find is the grey covered headlite spider behind Jeffs 128 daily driver.
16797106850_c026442228_z.jpg

3 of Mikes running 850 based cars.
16796837718_18aa2e01ec_z.jpg

16983659301_ec52e1536e_z.jpg

Two new acquisitions are these 1972 850's. Here Jeff and Mike are debating getting the green car to start.
16958617636_9f2896f57d_z.jpg

This looks like the 1968 Spider that Jeff started working on a few years ago. Mike will take over restoring it since some trades were recently made and Jeff ended up with a 850 Racer. Can't wait to see what Jeff does the the Racer.
16777178517_cf50dfa05f_z.jpg

New items in Mikes shop included this example of what happens to Fiat 850's when they get repaired or rebuilt in the USA.
Looks like the crank thrust bearings weren't installed and caused extreme wear on the bearing cap. We were all trying to determine if a repair was attempted by using machine screws to replace the 2 half-moon thrust bearings? That was our guess and just adds to the many strange Fiat "hack" jobs we see on old Fiats.
16983212532_a5dc22c22b_z.jpg

Last edited:
850cc June 2015

SoCal 850cc (850 Car Club) monthly get together

Hosted by Rory in Lakewood Ca. Here we are trying to fill-up his driveway with Fiats.
18422570249_eedafd73b7_z.jpg

Chris showing his "I'm famished" hungry-starving look. Rory pointing out something on his Abarth-ized 124. Jeff's holding on to Rory's 850 coupe.
18604187682_a35ef3c1ba_z.jpg

Sam trying my out my cabrio for size. He fits and approves. He says: " Actually, I got plenty of room". He's over 6 foot tall.
17988076923_eefb03910d_z.jpg

Mikes red corsa. Full roll cage, 903 block, "grease gun" tube crankcase breather, Pacesetter Monza exhaust header, Rebuilt 600D TA, and burlap strap seats.
18421044080_927893229f_z.jpg

Bayless Stinger? Aftermarket oil pan?
18420936038_4710ff915f_z.jpg

18610838211_5b63fce273_z.jpg

Lunch at the nearest burger place where Jeff continues talking about something interesting. He had lots of literature to share related to Giannini 850 cars, parts and more. Jeff tries to add something interesting and helpful in understanding whats available for these cars.
Just hope he finds a giant stash of Giannini parts for our cars.:laugh:
18610871951_e2613aaaa2_z.jpg

Lots of Shade, Good Food, Cool Fiats and Friends. :wink2:
18610890471_99630cb072_z.jpg

Last edited:
June - Pt. 1

SoCal 850cc monthly get together. Hosted by Rory in Lakewood Ca.

Yes, a special "thanks" again to Rory for having us over during his already-crowded Sunday schedule. With the burger joint festivities afterwards included, everything seemed to work out just right for most of us, timing-wise. :)

Chris showing his "I'm famished" hungry-starving look.

:cry: :eat: O.M.G. Never thought I'd ever see that written on the internet. Classic! :laugh: :thumbsup:

Mikes red corsa. Full roll cage, 903 block, "grease gun" tube crankcase breather, Pacesetter Monza exhaust header, Rebuilt 600D TA...
18421044080_927893229f_z.jpg

And Fiat (shower/bath supplies) shower drain cover front emblem/horn cover. (To Mike's credit, it does say "FIAT" in the center)

...and burlap strap seats...

18610838211_5b63fce273_z.jpg

Have you sat in these yet? They're actually quite comfortable! (especially on a hot day) And very well-made!

Lunch at the nearest burger place where Jeff continues talking about something interesting. He had lots to say about Giannini 850 history, parts and more. Just hope he finds a stash of Giannini parts for our cars.:laugh:
18610871951_e2613aaaa2_z.jpg

Yeah, well...you know me, get me started on something I like & I never seem to shut up. :grin: Sorry, the Giannini stuff is for my own cars - it's just too hard to find as it is!

That reminds me - I meant to ask you where you found that alloy trim surrounding your rear window??? :huh2:

Lots of Shade, Good Food, Cool Fiats and Friends. :wink2:
18610890471_99630cb072_z.jpg

Yup, good times. I think Sam's next car might be a Fiat 600? :hmm:

That reminds me - I meant to ask you where you found that alloy trim surrounding your rear window??? :huh2:

That rear window, rubber and trim supposedly came off an authentic Abarth 750. It was in good condition, so I just installed it as-is.
From what I was told, 750 cars came with that trim and I think a chrome shifter, which I installed too. I'm not sure about all this; I've always doubted it myself. :2c:

THAT piece.

That rear window, rubber and trim supposedly came off an authentic Abarth 750. It was in good condition, so I just installed it as-is. From what I was told, 750 cars came with that trim and I think a chrome shifter, which I installed too. I'm not sure about all this; I've always doubted it myself. :2c:

The part about the rear window trim is indeed true (it was also used on many coachbuilder-modified 600 Sedans). That's why I asked. :wink2:

From my own research with the cars themselves & many photos of real 750 Berlinas, I'd have to dismiss the chromed shifter as hearsay - all I've seen is the standard black painted levers. Same for the coachbuilt cars (including my Zagato & Allemano 750's), except a few whose owners (or previous owners) had had them chromed along with other parts on the car.

That rear window trim is about the last "specialty" piece that I still need to find for my car. Got another one? :pigsfly: :pigsfly: :pigsfly:

Last edited:
August 850CC Lakewood Ca

Perfect day to meet with Southern California Fiat 850 Enthusiasts at Rory's home in Lakewood. He was testing the latest Alfa for his job at one of the Peterson publishing magazines. We all had a chance to see the latest Alfa up close and sit in it. Most of us thought it would not be a car you would consider easy to get in-and-out of.
20725433078_dbc69e894b_o.jpg

L-R Jeff, Rory, Sam, Mike
20292301923_4bb00fefcb_o.jpg

Rory's 1967 coupe shown here with a front leaf spring that everyone guessed was heat-treated with a torch to get that stance.:)
20903585892_c56bce07ce_o.jpg

Nice Sticker Collection
20726526679_a54684e047_o.jpg

My Rotissory being delivered to Jeff for his next 850 coupe project. Removed the passenger seat to make it all fit better.
20725335830_e9e0fb0fd0_o.jpg

Next we visited Mike's shop in Huntington Beach to see an A112 and other new project he was working on.
More to come...or if you can't wait type-in or click on this link.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johntz/with/20290762294/
20290762294_6889a0fdf3_o.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics!

johnt

Thanks for sharing.

Your rear wing window caught my attention. Polycarbonate ?

lezesig
'72 850 sp

johnt

Thanks for sharing.

Your rear wing window caught my attention. Polycarbonate ?

lezesig
'72 850 sp

Yes it's Polycarbonate. I found a remnant/scrap piece of Makrolon GP on Ebay for the rear and both rear wings. Makrolon comes in GP (general purpose) or AR (Abrasion Resistant). You'll find Makrolon usually costs less than Lexan or Tuffack brands.

The fasteners are all stainless socket head screws and the holes were drilled using a jig to make sure all all holes were the same distance from the edge of the plastic.
20726568019_27b5da78d1_o.jpg

You got me !

johnt,

I have seen many different tricks performed with many different tools BUT....drilling a hole using a jigsaw would be the first I have heard.

Really ?

I can see you wanting to ensure edge margin...but a jigsaw generating a hole?

Okay...I will bite. Please spill the beans. What's the technique in condensed form ?

I do like the look of the polycarbonate on the wing windows without a contour. Gives it a track look. It appears that you really lucked out on the compound contour for the rear window. It looks as if the plastic behaved NICELY adhering to that gentle arc.

We need a laser operator to cut you a bezel : )....cheaply...lol

lezesig
'72 850Sp

I have seen many different tricks performed with many different tools BUT....drilling a hole using a jigsaw would be the first I have heard. Really? I can see you wanting to ensure edge margin...but a jigsaw generating a hole? Okay...I will bite. Please spill the beans. What's the technique in condensed form?

Not a jigsaw, but a jig to guide the drill bit, as in:

jig - /jiɡ/
noun

• a lively dance with leaping movements.
  • a device that holds a piece of work and guides the tools operating on it.
  • a type of artificial bait that is jerked up and down through the water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jig_(tool)

Not a jigsaw, but a jig to guide the drill bit, as in:

Here's more detail on what I used to help anyone who'd like to mount plastic windows for a race look and/or to loose pounds.

Pictures below are my drill guides, jig or Tool along with some left over scraps of plastic positioned just like they were used for drilling.
I decided to use smaller bolts for the 1/4 windows and larger ones for the rear window. That is why you see two tools with different size holes.
They are made out of scrap metal starting with, what I think is electrical fixture brackets and welded-on scrap to downsize the existing hole.
Also note I used Tuffack instead of what I said before :shock: Sorry.
I found a piece of plastic that was at least 54x36 (which is what it takes to do the 3 rear windows) at a better price than ordering a custom cut section or entire sheet.
20887486198_23c6b06c5d_o.jpg

20452773814_9c4a270c18_o.jpg

Last edited:
jig....

Hi Jeff,

Oh...that is something different then. Ha ha ha. You got to admit; boring holes using a jigsaw would be something to witness.

...so, I just received a brand spanking new JigSaw the day I posted the inquiry.

I think we both know what went on while I was reading the johnt post....lol

lezesig
'72 850Sp

Thanks

johnt,

I was unaware of this LEXAN competitor. Always good to be aware of alternate sources. Thanks.

I like your makeshift guides......the challenge to keep the bit perpendicular.....on the entire periphery....

Find any welding going on while drilling ? Lately I have turned the rpm down to a crawl to eliminate the risk. Completely unconventional to the usual approach. I'd rather spend a huge amount of extra time than risk breakout.

Okay....you can tell me that you used a properly ground thermoset face angle rather than our bits we have laying around :)

lezesig
'72 850Sp

Last edited:
Guides...

I think fabricating/using a guide for the drill bit was more to ensure consistently-even hole spacing from the edge of the window, rather than to keep the drill bit perpendicular. :wink2:

Made a new transmission mount reinforcement which is shown in the Retro Rides Site.
For those that haven't experienced it yet, some transmission mounts crack or fall apart like my sample below. I've been welding them in the crack prone areas for years and still have not have good luck. This time I took a different approach and have pictures to share on how this mount was made.
21567242011_dc084696ea_b.jpg

This is the mount I just removed and looks like the spot welds didn't penetrate too well! The mount is still greasy, but there are 3 little spot welds on each side of the mount. This is the first time I've seen the welds break, usually mounts crack around the bends.
21370640518_e7941ba359_b.jpg

Here's more off other cars I've owned, all with similar cracks.
21547264802_60da27a53d_b.jpg

After installing the tranny mount it seemed like a good time to adjust the brakes while the car was jacked up. I took the drum off just to remind myself which way to turn the manual adjusters and found I had a leaky rear wheel cylinders. Work continued into the night with disassembly, cleanup and the search for a new wheel cylinders I had someplace in my garage.
21370623998_36157c1569_b.jpg

Doesn't take much room to work on these cars and you can still get things done with a mess in the garage.
21047996533_57e48bc5ae_b.jpg

Rock Auto always has these in stock for around $4 each so I try to keep a couple around as spares for times like these.
21642934916_300e393878_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it's Polycarbonate. I found a remnant/scrap piece of Makrolon GP on Ebay for the rear and both rear wings. Makrolon comes in GP (general purpose) or AR (Abrasion Resistant). You'll find Makrolon usually costs less than Lexan or Tuffack brands.

The fasteners are all stainless socket head screws and the holes were drilled using a jig to make sure all all holes were the same distance from the edge of the plastic.
20726568019_27b5da78d1_o.jpg
Do you have a gasket under the plastic rear window to raise the height slightly?

Back