Can you believe this? CD30

Will Abramczyk

True Classic
A guy who works for me was looking a a vacant 5 acre parcel about 2 miles from my house. 400 yards to the back of the property in a 124 spider buried in the mud...less engine.

He took a couple of picks and the rest is history.

A couple of calls and I negotiated a bill of sale for the rims.

So far I have retrieved 3 of 4 of the rims....took 2 1/2 hours. Used my old mountain bike to haul a jack and some boards out there. Mud Mosquitos and plenty of water.

See the pics, condition not too bad but need refinish...the real McCoy!

Will

Great find Will - but make sure when you refinish them that you pay careful attention to any corrosion and after they've been paint stripped have them "cooked" in an oven. Magnesium is highly hygroscopic and moisture has caused failures in magnesium wheels - so be careful! They are good candidates for an x-ray to help you be sure.

Bush mechanic

It took me a trip to the hardware store and about 20 minutes to fabricate a wheel puller.

Long walk into the woods and only 5 minutes to get the fourth wheel.

Great find there! I have a similar story... about 3 years ago I was shopping for vintage wheels to fit to my then new '12 500 Pop. I found an ad for a guy parting out a spider in LA, and the pic showed what he had for wheels... a set of gold painted CD30's. I picked them up for $200 and found out after a trial fit they would not clear my brakes. I didn't have an X then, so I put them up for sale and sold them to a bloke who was restoring a Simca Abarth 1000.

Those gold CD30's sure would have looked nice on my blue '74...:hmm2:

Back