The right stuff - 850 dash panels -

lezesig1

expatriot
....this stuff took some hunting to find.

Many different vinyls materials out there. This one nails it for O.E.M. requirements.

Measures out .007 (7mil) thick and is embossed-calendered. Several different options of color/pattern are available.

Application is a breeze also with the newest cross-linked adhesive layer on its backside. I found it lessened the potential for trapped air during application. ZERO air pockets after installation. ZERO having to search for air pockets. Easiest vinyl I have ever worked with.

Wood veneer would have been easy but I purposely close vinyl here for the Pacific Northwest application. Wood would have required high maintenance to maintain its nice appearance in our normally "Humid" conditions : )

This is da stuff ! > 3M DiNoc adhesive backed vinyl sheeting

thank you Les!

I'm at the point of replacing both driver's side and passenger side panels, and wondered about doing vinyl.

I know little about it so looked up the phrase "calendared vinyl" to get a modicum of knowledge and came across this good article: http://www.signindustry.com/vinyl/articles/2005-07-01-Avery-CastVsCalendered.php3

Your finished product looks absolutely beautiful. Can you detail your process...how did you cut out the very fine holes for switches etc? Exacto knife, something else?

Its character

Hi Jim,

Thought your Spider was all complete long ago ?

This vinyl; merely pull off the backing and apply with hand pressure. Half at a time lessens the possibility for lint, debris, etc. from being trapped. Work from center outward. One half at a time.

The cutouts removal ? Scalpel - 4 series handle with #15 blade.
10x loupe for the gauge index notches :)

lezesig
'72 Sp

thanks Les

I'm going to order this product, I especially like the light cherry finish.

My Spider has been problematic...had it restored and was driving it a couple of years ago...but it got damaged during the tow from a home I rented to one I purchased. It hasn't been running since...until a few weeks ago :) Three great guys from the British Car Club on Cape Cod came by several times to assist...and we have it running again.

I'm finishing the rubber mats now, have new seats and a new top (both light brown by the way) to go in and hopefully Bob Brown will have new and better gauges for me soon. The car needs some final electrical work on turn signals, and backup lights but everything else works.

The really nice thing is that I have two extra unbroken but badly blemished panels that this vinyl wrap would work well on as a test bench.

Now to buy some scalpels :) Thanks again!

This is da stuff ! > 3M DiNoc adhesive backed vinyl sheeting

Nice job! Was the wood finish chosen to emulate the similarly-clad panels of the earlier 850 Spiders? (I ask because these particular panels you have were OEM aluminum pieces) Did you do the center panel behind/surrounding the ashtray like this, as well?

Panel choice

Hi Jeff,

Yep, you are correct about panel varieties. My fondness was for a blend. The vinyl overlays of the earlier years....onto an angulared BARE panel of the 72.

I like the wood, and I like the angles. A mixture of both.

My build will be a daily driver to my liking. No hacks.....but clean modifies IMO.

I do happen to have the BARED ashtray + its surround.

lezesig
'72 850 Sp

Good luck on your continued ressurection

Hi Jim,

New seats ? Do you mean reupholstered, or NOS NEW FRAMES also ?
A new frame source would be a revelation !

Attached is a pic of what can fit on top of that vinyl. There is a trick to making to old placards look new again : )

lezesig
'72 850Sp

Last edited:
sorry to drag up an old thread

Old seats but new covers I ordered from Mr Fiat in Atlanta, switching interior and top to light brown. I got the standard waterfall seats.

I did order my vinyl and should get it momentarily...one of several winter projects.

I don't smoke, and won't let people smoke in this Spider. Instead of an ashtray, I'm putting in a Garmin GPS into the slot and running the wires behind the dash, so it will look like a custom install.

I'm thinking that I may just mount it with industrial strength Velcro. It's not old school but like you I want this to be a daily (ok maybe weekend) driver and need directions :)

I'm not putting a radio in the dash, will get one of these vintage types: http://www.vintagecarradio.com/store/index.php?cPath=20_54_304

Though as you can see they have in dash repro's too.

gotcha

Hi Jim,

Those seat covers should fit well I would imagine. Looks, and claims to be OEM pattern. I contemplated those also instead opting for blended patching. The light brown color departure will be an interesting twist. I like it. The former Mellow Yellow had the same color scheme.

Radio-That looks a good option! No cutting and changing original looks.

This will be my radio that sits atop the tunnel tray. The Pic shows a bulb replacement task. This radios face appearance looks like a period correct tachometer. Shown before restoration.

.......back to brake piping swap on this end.

Have a Great Holiday!

lezesig
'72 Sp

That is a seriously cool radio. I have never seen one like it, at least a vintage one. What a great find and restoring it is even better.

There are a number of modern versions kind of like this for use on boats should perchance anyone be interested in getting something like it, but new.

http://www.ceoutlook.com/2014/01/13/dual-electronics-offers-round-marine-gauge-hole-radios/
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJXBBSY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004XN8M64&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=062A17RA9MFXW82BS4WR"]500 Service Unavailable Error[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJXBBSY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944579862&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004XN8M64&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PY0FWF5BMX228CC0B5Y"]Amazon.com : JBL PRV 175 AM/FM/USB/Bluetooth® Gauge Style Stereo : Car Electronics[/ame]

wood type

Hi,
I've just bought a US import '72 sport spider on impulse and want to bring it back closer to original.
Love what you've done to the dash. I've found the 3M stuff on eBay but which wood type did you go for?
Also, can anyone help - looking for a new carburetor (preferably without all the US emission control add-ons!)....and both rear light lenses.
Thanks and a merry Christmas
Paul

Wood type

Hello,
paulthebrit,

There are a few choices on that wood type. I opted to order samples before choosing. The rosewood, walnut, and marine teak were all very close runners up.

The one pictured is cherry teak.

Good luck on the new carburetor. I am unaware at where our preferred vendor is on this one. There was rumor of a re-manufactured DICA being available to market but no evidence on that front.

A FULL rebuild kit is a viable option. Close attention to be paid to the oversize hole in the casting where the butterfly shafts ride. A bushing in the rebuild kit addresses this wear issue.

...light lenses are readily available on the _bay....and the 'for sale and wanted section(s)' here and on mirafioridot com. Our preferred vendors are a sure source also.

good luck

lezesig
'72 850Sp

Back