Fiat 128 For Sale

davevoss

True Classic
1974 Fiat 128 4-Door Sedan For Sale

I’ve decided to sell my 1974 model year Fiat 128 4-Door Sedan. I’ve owned this car since July 2012 when I purchased it from the original owner. I’ve had a lot of fun with this car on road tours, club events, and as a daily driver, and I’m sure I’ll miss it, but I have a few other projects that I want to make room for, so the time has come to part with it. Here is some information about the car, pictures can be viewed at the following link, please let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100000031440726&type=1&l=e8bc0e5615

History:
This USA-spec car was purchased new in Milan Italy in 1974 by an American living there at the time. After a year or so of using the car in Italy, the owner moved back to the USA, first to Southern California, and then to the Bay Area in Northern California. In 1982, the car developed an issue that prevented it from running, and it was parked awaiting repairs, but the issue was never diagnosed or repaired. Thirty years later, the original owner moved from his home where the car had been stored for that entire time, after which the car was put up for sale. Through word of mouth, I heard about it and offered to take a close look at it to help the owner’s son determine it’s value and to try to help find an interested buyer. After spending some time around it, I decided to purchase it with the intention of refurbishing it back to good running condition, as I felt it had sufficient potential for a second life.

Exterior:
Original light green paint in good condition with a few minor chips, scratches, stains, and dings, I would say the paint condition is about an 8 out of 10. Since this car sat in a garage for thirty years, it has only had about ten years of exposure, so the original paint has not degraded as would be typical on a forty year old Fiat. This car has not been in any accidents and has almost no rust, only a few spots of surface rust where the paint is chipped, etc. but no structural rust whatsoever, and none around any of the windows. The hood, trunk, and all doors open and close correctly, all latches, locks, and handles work, and all of the windows roll up and down normally. The only dent on this car is on the inside of the left rear door, it appears that it was struck while open, but the dent is not visible when the door is closed. The front and rear window chrome trim is in great shape, the windshield has one crack in the outer layer of glass from a stone chip close to the top right edge, but it has been stable for the past year and does not leak. The stock heavy awkward bumpers have been replaced with early chrome bumpers, and the stock black slat front grill has been replaced with a NOS chrome honeycomb grill to give the car the look of the early models. The large black plastic rear license plate bracket has been replaced with the chrome individual license plate lights from a 124 Spider.

Interior:
Original interior is in very nice condition throughout, with front and rear black vinyl seats, black door panels, and black carpeting. The driver’s seat has one small area where the original stitching is beginning to degrade, but the vinyl is not torn. The white headliner is tight with no tears or stains. The dash is in excellent condition with no cracks, and this car has the optional floor console that extends forward from the shifter area. The driver’s seatbelt was replaced due to frayed webbing, the other seatbelts are original and in good condition. The stock steering wheel has been replaced with a black three-spoke Ferrero steering wheel from a 124 Spider, and the stock instrument cluster has been replaced with a Giannini instrument cluster with tachometer, fuel gauge, water temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and speedometer in km/h that all fit in the stock instrument cluster location.

Suspension:
The stock front struts have been replaced with early rebuildable rear X1/9 struts with KYB oil hydraulic inserts and Plaia Pivots (needle bearing steering pivots), the front springs have been cut and tapered to reduce the ride height and provide a slightly stiffer ride (spring rate is about 180 lbs), and the front anti-roll bar and rear transverse leaf spring have been replaced with the stiffer anti-roll bar and three-leaf spring from a Fiat 128 Wagon to reduce body roll for flatter cornering. The rest of the front and rear suspension is stock, with good condition rear struts, front and rear bushings, and front ball joints. The right-side steering rack bushing (the one that eventually fails) has been replaced, and the steering tie-rods have been trimmed in length (about 3mm) to accommodate the reduced ride height.

Engine:
The original 1300 SOHC engine has been replaced with a 1500 engine that I built myself. The block was bored, honed, and decked flush (0.015”) to match new 86.6mm pistons and rings, and was also machined to accept an oil pressure gauge sending unit. The crankshaft was in excellent condition, so new standard size main, thrust, and con-rod bearings were utilized. The 1500 cylinder head received a valve job and was shaved to reduce the combustion chamber size to 30cc, which in combination with the decked block, provides a static compression ratio of 9.8:1. The camshaft is stock, with post break-in dynamic compression in the 210-220 psi range. The intake manifold is from a Fiat Strada (same angle as the Fiat 128, but with larger ports) and the carburetor is a Weber 34DAT with a double butterfly water choke and stock air cleaner with K&N filter element. The exhaust system is the stock 1974 model year 4-into-2 cast manifold with 2-into-1 downpipe, front and rear mufflers, and no catalytic converter. This engine was originally built for the Fiat 128 Wagon that I used to own, and was then installed in this Fiat 128 Sedan, and has been driven a total of about 30k miles. The timing belt was replaced when it was installed in this Sedan, which was about 10k miles ago. The timing belt tensioner bearing is the slightly larger diameter 1300 bearing to compensate for the block decking and head shaving, which ensures proper timing belt tension. The stock ignition has been replaced with the Bosch electronic system from a Yugo including a ported vacuum signal from the Weber 34DAT carburetor. The cooling system is stock with a refurbished radiator which has no trouble keeping the larger 1500 engine running at normal temperature even on hot California summer days. The heater core has also been refurbished and works great keeping the interior warn on cold drives.

Driveline & Brakes:
The stock transaxle has been rebuilt with the taller fourth gear from a 74-78 model year X1/9 (0.959:1) and the taller final drive from a late model Fiat 128 (3.765:1) to reduce overall engine revs, which better matches the higher output of the built 1500 engine. City driving feels natural, and long freeway drives are less frantic, with 4k rpm in fourth gear providing 68 mph. The flywheel and clutch are stock 1300 parts, which provide a nice light feel with the 1500 engine, and no issues handling the higher power output. The drive axles are in good condition, including the inner tri-pod joints and boots, outer CV-joints, and front (and rear) wheel bearings. The front and rear brakes are stock with power assist booster, and the hand brake works very well. The stock wheels have been replaced with wider 13”x5” steel wheels from a 124 Spider/Coupe, and have hub caps with early Fiat logos from a pre-73 124 Sedan (to match the early Fiat logo on the grill). Tires are 175/70-R13 Sumitomo HTR-T4, fronts have about 2/3 treat remaining, rears have about 1/3 treat remaining, which on a Fiat 128 means that the fronts and rears will be worn to minimum at about the same time.

Electrical:
Fiat 128 models are known for developing odd electrical issues, typically the result of poor connections and/or aging components in the overly complicated design that Fiat felt was necessary for these simple cars. During the refurbishment of this car, I took the opportunity to remove all of the extraneous devices, relays, and circuits for systems and components that would no longer be present, such as emissions electro-valves, seat belt warning buzzers, electric fuel pump, etc. At the same time, I installed four new plug-in style relays, one for the low beam headlight, one for the high beam headlights, one for the electric air horns, and one for the radiator cooling fan with thermo-switches in the radiator and the intake manifold. After removing unnecessary wiring and adding relays, the engine compartment wiring harness was wrapped and routed for tidiness. The battery, starter, and ignition switch are in good condition, and the ignition key is an original black Fiat key. The stock alternator and external voltage regulator have been replaced with an internally regulated Marelli 55A alternator. The battery is in good condition, and the stock braided ground strap has been replaced with a traditional cable that connects the engine block to the negative battery post. The windshield wipers, heater blower fan, rear window defroster, turn signals, hazard lights, parking lights, brake lights, and interior pillar lights all work great. The stock sealed beam head lights have been replaced with Bosch H4 head lights with 55W/60 halogen bulbs. This car has no radio or speakers, as none have ever been installed.

This car is currently located at my home in Napa, California and is still being driven on an occasional basis. It had 62k miles when I acquired it, and I’ve put about 10k miles on it since the completion of the refurbishment. Since it is a 1974 model year car, it does not require emissions testing in California, and the registration is valid through July 2015. I am the registered owner and have the title in hand. Asking price is $3500 or best offer. Thanks for your interest, I hope this car finds an owner as enthusiastic as I have been.

3500? Thanks for devaluing every other 128 out there! That's easily a $5,500 car AFTER they talk you down.

Seriously, though. I've followed this since you trailered it home with Shaun's back in 2012. Worth every penny and more, for sure. I'd love to get my hands on it, but it's just not in the cards.

Great car I have seen it up close. Nobody does it like Dave!

Put it on Ebay if nobody bites here

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Thanks for the compliments

The $3500 asking price is set for Fiat enthusiasts, I'll may ask for more if I list it on craigslist or other open markets.

Wow... worth twice that!
Wish I had the room or the funds when available, this would be a lovely car to own and cart friends around town.

Whew!!

I am SO GLAD.
Someday, I want a 128 sedan, and I hope it will be as nice as this one. But now was NOT a good time for me to be buying another car. This one was so nice it was a huge temptation hanging out there. Glad the sale was quick so the temptation didn't last too long :)

Back