500 Abarth Leaking clutch slave - known problem...

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
But no recall.

I had my car back into dealer for a leaking clutch slave - they replaced it prior.

Turns out it is a known issue with faulty part and will lead to failing/slipping clutch due to hydraulic fluid getting all over it. I am getting a new clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel today as a result.

FYI...

Mine was replaced too...

At only 30k. I am going to be pissed if it happens again out of warranty. Not cool FIAT. they are taking enthusiasts and making them not like the brand.

At only 30k. I am going to be pissed if it happens again out of warranty. Not cool FIAT. they are taking enthusiasts and making them not like the brand.

:sigh:

My X (other X) likes her Fiat 500L but is really nervous after she has seen me take my Abarth to the dealer so many times. I think this is the 4th trip for a service/repair since I have owned it.

The odd thing is I don't know how they saw that the slave was leaking the first time. I didn't see a drop of anything under the car. However, IF fluid is making it to the ground then the leak is already BAD. Bad enough to have covered the bell housing. I have not seen the slave installed, but I believe it is on the drivers side, around or under where the battery tray sits (I am sort of guessing based on where it sits on other models).

Admittedly we have not put over 20k on any of the five 500s my gf and I have owned, but all of them combined only gave me two visits for warranty repair, loose lower side cladding on my current car, and door alignment on Cheryl's Pop.

Install...

This is an engine out deal. the entire front of the car is removed and the engine dropped from the subframe and split from the transmission. Big job.

What do I need to be looking for to preempt this?

Mine's got 25k. No issues so far except the trip tape

Mine's got 25k. No issues so far except the trip tape

Good Q.

I wonder if a bleed to a better/different brake fluid might help.

Or a possible adjustment of the pedal travel so it's not travelling as far when articulated?

Well...

Mine is modded but that would not affect the slave cylinder. It is a part that is not connected to horsepower. My clutch was fine, I caught it in time.

So..

adding significant amounts of HP and torque holds no potential to negatively affect overall clutch components performance/service life? If that's the case, I learned something today... and that's a good thing.

adding significant amounts of HP and torque holds no potential to negatively affect overall clutch components performance/service life? If that's the case, I learned something today... and that's a good thing.

Your reply (albeit it facetious sounding) brings up a very valid point of course. I won't say it shouldn't have a negative affect on the slave cylinder, I am no expert at all. I wasn't connecting the two :(

No, I'm serious

if that's the case, that kicks my far-from-expert understanding of the issue right out the door. I was an "early-adopter" :laugh: of the Abarth, so my build date has to be close to Brett's... which makes me worry.

Back