EASY observation about DOORS.

lezesig1

expatriot
Question: How many times do you move removed doors "out of the way" before they are re-installed ?

lezesig
'72 850Sp

PS- Count is 12 for me with no end
in sight

I wish I could give you an answer, but...

I've never been able to get mine off.

I have almost RUINED the Phillips head screws that hold them on... and gave up and live with the maladjustment. I was gonna drill but said the hell with it...

But... I bet they woulda been moved around about half a dozen times in the few months it took me to prep the car for paint.

Good to hear from ya Les... about some FREE photos of your work?

doors

as many as it takes my friend.
I have four doors and two cars awaiting them. pre painted (first coat) and they are awaiting installation and sit in a remote part of the garage
dying to install, but suffer from but first.
doors red demon.......but first the down drafts to move it....
black beauty......wiring and motor/trans to move it..crap never ends:eyepop:
do you have a car(s) to put them on??
if you have room in the garage to put them on, go for it. you can always remove them later.
mikemo

A few dozen at least. Maybe more...

Out of the way is a multiple choice question. If they were in another building where you never did any work you would never move them. If they are anywhere in the shop you are working or you have other cars in that you might actually use, dozens.

doors again

both of you might try to find a fastenall store. bring in one of the hinge screws and they will have the same size with an Allen head. I had to drill three or four on both cars to remove them and the ones I bought, :)they sit in a bag crying...USE ME ALREADY........but first....
mikemo

I've never been able to get mine off.

I have almost RUINED the Phillips head screws that hold them on... and gave up and live with the maladjustment. I was gonna drill but said the hell with it...

But... I bet they woulda been moved around about half a dozen times in the few months it took me to prep the car for paint.

Good to hear from ya Les... about some FREE photos of your work?

Like Tony I tried to get the doors off on my first X with no luck and the same with the one I have now. The doors on my 84 are still solid but I had big ideas of pulling them when doing body work but after rounding out a couple of the slots I decided life is to short and just leave well enough alone. I have some extra doors but they are hanging on the back side of the shop under the carport. The only time I have touched them since acquiring them over a year ago is to spray them and knock the wasp nests out.

I was NEVER worried about getting them back on...

First I hadta get them off, nor was I worried about ruining the screws. I knew drilling and futzing around was next and like others... decided I would rather spend my time doing something else.

HA!

When my wife and I were first married I decided I was going to build myself a chopper. The old garage wasn't much more than a lean-to designed for a model "T" and the house wasn't all that big either so space to store stuff was at a premium. I had the engine in the tiny garage the frame in the back porch and the front wheel and forks in the bedroom closet with other miscellaneous parts strategically placed around the house. One day my lovely young wife made an off hand comment that I thought more of my motorcycle than her... Well...It so happened that I had just gotten the brand new teardrop gas tank I wanted so in one of my off beat senses of humor... that night when we went to bed that brand new gas tank was laying on her pillow... 46 years later that particular incident is still a point of contention.

Question: How many times do you move removed doors "out of the way" before they are re-installed ?

lezesig
'72 850Sp

PS- Count is 12 for me with no end
in sight

Can we add engine covers to this list? I've moved mine about 6 times sofar as i work on the '78. It's silly too because it's only 4 bolts...

Oh and a recommendation for the phillips screws - after a blast of penetrant, coat the business end of the phillips screwdriver with valve lapping compound. It improves removal torque exponetially.

This tip works on those pesky door hinge screws also....!

.....Oh and a recommendation for the phillips screws - after a blast of penetrant, coat the business end of the phillips screwdriver with valve lapping compound. It improves removal torque exponetially......

....As Zonk advises, put a dab of valve paste into the Phillips screw head on the door hinge, and then get your trusty Vessel impact screwdriver :worship: (using a tight-fitting bit), pick up your favourite BFH, and whack that screw head good and hard!! I did this trick on my '78 X soon after buying it - when I removed the doors in order to spray anti-rust fluid into the door interiors, and didn't want the fluid to drip out of the door drains.
I re-used the OE door screws when refitting the doors, after swamping the threads with Never-Seez (magic stuff).

cheers, Ian - NZ

Doors

To take the the doors off all you need is ether and impact gun or an impact screw driver . The impact screw drive works by hitting the back of it with a hammer and it makes a twisting action the harder you hit the harder the twisting. Hers a website for the Harbor freight one but most parts stores stock them .http://m.harborfreight.com/impact-s...e-37530.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

The cool thing is if get or borrow an an impact gun you can use parts off the impact screwdriver .

Remeber all the Scorpion stuff?

Remember all the Scorpion stuff we picked up at Wayne's? If you recall, in that haul were 2 sets of Scorpion doors. So for me, the question is which set are you asking about? The pair on my car haven't been off since I got the car, but I've moved the 2 sets of doors many times. They're built like tanks, so are very heavy and the weight is biased to the outer skin, so they are difficult to stack in a manner that keeps them out of the way and also too heavy to hang on the wall, although I have ideas about that.

doors off

I tried my impact gun and broke several bits in the removal of said doors.
go allens on the install
and zonk... I can make room for your stuff to store, like I have any spare room here...and even in the darkness of night, or when the wife is at work....she will know...how do they do that??????:shh:
mikemo

I've never found one that wouldn't eventually surrender to a manual impact driver, something like this.

But then the doors come off, and we're back to Lezesig's question... and the answer to that is "at least twelve" :)

I was asked when I was 18 if I treasured my T-bucket...

more than my girl friend at the time... I hesitated... but I still have BOTH today... 47 years later.

I don't hesitate anymore...

Back