Recent lurker, new Scorpion owner #1553 restomod

motoTrooper

True Classic
Hello forum! I recently acquired a '77 Scorpion project and have avidly read posts here to divine some wisdom and insight into my madness. As I proceed and post you will get an idea of where I'm headed. I am not a checkbook mechanic and I value creativity and inspiration over dogma.

Here's the project in all its glory
IMG_0460.JPG

Needs a bit more than a spitshine! The usual updates/mods are in order: suspension, brakes, wheels, headlights, floors, roof panel, trim... Going to try my hand at molding a fiberglass/carbon fiber boot lid as the original is past saving but useful as a pattern plug. The engine is half there holding a vestigial existence:
IMG_0434.jpg

This, for me, is ideal as I want to pursue a Honda/Acura K20/24 engine/transmission swap. So I have all the reference points where things were initially placed. If the engine assembly were complete I'd probably just get it running and enjoy it for itself but in this instance I'm swapping.

A bit about myself, I have built motorcycles and cars over the last 24 years. Lately I've been more focused on cycles and am wrapping up some builds. Here's the new website for them if you're curious. I am not a computer guy so please excuse the ongoing construction...

www.rivenmotors.com

Anyone/everyone please chime in, I don't offend easy and while I can be stubborn in trying out ideas to my satisfaction I also don't want to reinvent wheels endlessly. I'm the first to admit I don't know everything. Thanks for everyone's previous posts and sharing of knowledge and experiences. Hope to be a good contributor myself!

Last edited:
Welcome!

That's a project for sure, but it sounds like you have the skills needed. For the most part Xweb prides itself on being non-judgmental when it comes to what members do to and with their cars. We enjoy ribbing each other on occasion but as a forum keep it light, and flame wars and other problems are dealt with when they come to the moderators' attention.

Your project sounds feasible... I recently did some work on my neighbors Honda V6 and wondered about swapping it in. I expect there are many options.

Welcome!

Good luck with the build, it looks like a lot of work from your starting point but it will absolutely be worth it to save another Scorpion.

Let us know what parts you need along the way and we'll see what we can scrape up!

Pete

Welcome...

A fab shop in Texas just finished a K20 conversion in >someone's< Scorpion this summer.

The firm used an X19 K20 swap kit from us as the basis and modified it to work. In addition to just bolting in the motor, you've got some suspension upgrades to allow significantly stiffer springs in the rear, and improved braking.

When you get to that point, let us know, we're happy to advise. There are some subtle differences for the kit between X19 and Scorpion that we can give pointers on.

And we also have the custom K20 axles for Scorpion on-file with the manufacturer.

Best of luck!

-M

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and pointers! Yes, I was inspired about the K20 that I saw in Julian's build thread. Even more so when I saw and heard the acceleration on Midwest's YouTube videos!

Matt (* Midwest) I would like to speak with you about your experience with the conversions you perform. One quick query is, "What is the approx. weight differential between the two engine/trans assemblies?" I was assuming that the K20 would be a fair bit lighter because of modern construction and casting. I'll give you guys a holler after the weekend.

Anyway, I've been spending too much time surfing the various companies that support Lancias and Fiats. Feeling good about what I can accomplish with this awesome little car. Time to walk the dogs!

I always wanted to do a Volkswagen VR6 in my Scorpion. I believe the size is right, the sound of that engine is straight out of Italy....and it was actually Lancia who pioneered the narrow degree vee...in this case the 15 degree V is capped by a single head.

It's a great engine. And these days, you can even get 3.2 and 3.6 liter versions with 24v heads and all that...250+ HP out of the box. And that sound...yum.

It crossed my mind

My brother had a beautiful Corrado VR6 and he removed one of the intermediate mufflers and, yeah, it made some lovely sounds. Definitely need to consider it.

Corrado V6 are well known for going pop.
Timing chain problems, plastic engine parts problem and ....

IMO, if there is going to be an alternate power train installed to the MonteCarlo,

*Alfa Romeo V6 for the normally aspirated, SAAB B204/B234 for the turbo option.

*Cosworth wanted to purchase the design, production rights and tooling for the Alfa Romeo V6 when it ceased production. Cosworth knew it would make an excellent race motor.
http://www.motor-car.co.uk/alfa-engines/item/13785-alfa-romeo-v6-engine

*SAAB, B204/B234, few production turbo motors can be upped boosted to 500+ Bhp / 450+ lb/ft with completely stock internals and hold up just fine.
http://www.serioussaab.co.uk/articles_pages/B2x4tribute.html

Boats tooooo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lINUW17kBk4

There are various gear box choices for either the Alfa Romeo or SAAB that would work nicely in the MonteCarlo.

Or the 3.0 liter V8 & gear box from the Lancia Thema 8.32
http://www.lanciabetamontecarlo.nl/EngConv/Th-2096-Eng-det04.jpg

http://www.lanciabetamontecarlo.nl/EngConv/Th-5525-EngInjectDyno09.jpg

Bernice

My brother had a beautiful Corrado VR6 and he removed one of the intermediate mufflers and, yeah, it made some lovely sounds. Definitely need to consider it.

Looking forward to seeing the transformation and great to see another Scorp saved!

I am going V6 Busso route myself just as soon as I get time/space in the workshop and will be doing a 24 valve install for a customer. I'm also meeting a new customer in a couple of weeks to discuss converting his Thema powered Montecarlo to R32 power!

Welcome to the madhouse - you're in GREAT company here!!

Cheers

Darren

Looks like a fun project!

Not sure which end of the Bay Area you are located, but you may want to catch up with Mark (FIATFREAK) he has done wonders with a pair of Scorpions. Inspirational to say the least.

-Tim

Awesome responses and support!

Thanks to all of you for your input and support! I hope to have some fun and interesting posts about the project when I attack it. I also hope to venture over to Mark's neck of the woods and be stunned by his work before too long. Notably, my wife (conveniently) has her Saab 9-3 parked in the driveway. Hmmmm.

-Christopher

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your input and support! I hope to have some fun and interesting posts about the project when I attack it. I also hope to venture over to Mark's neck of the woods and be stunned by his work before too long. Notably, my wife (conveniently) has her Saab 9-3 parked in the driveway. Hmmmm.

-Christopher

I also like Bernice's idea of a Saab 2.0L turbo-powered Lancia Scorpion. :)

Say, how many Lancias were there? It looks like there is a white Lancia Beta coupe there too in one of your photos.

White Beta

Yeah, I was looking at the white Beta coupe too. Would've taken it too but not enough room. He had two coupes and an HPE hatchback too. Thinking about it I'd have them all if I could!

a bit of holiday progress

So I got out and spent some time with the rusty exotic hiding in the driveway.

IMG_0491.JPG

I am pulling this engine before too long so if anyone needs any parts they see please let me know!

IMG_0483.JPG

Going to find a pair of used 13" tires so I can at least roll her around without a floor jack holding up the rear of the car.

IMG_0490.JPG

Today was all about discovering "What Lay Beneath the Carpet". That would be a good horror film title for most scorpion/montecarlo owners. The driver seat was free of its moorings when I got it but the passenger side was fixed firmly to its rotten sheetmetal with the carpet sandwiched. Gotta break some eggs for the omelet.

IMG_0485.JPG

Success! These seats are really done. More's the pity because I really dig their styling. Maybe I can rebuild them with assistance from my little friend.

IMG_0489.JPG

Seems like if Lancia wanted to use the most water retaining sound deadening underlayment they could've just gone one step further and used actual sponge versus the stuff they did here. Seeing just how thin the metal used for the firewall was a bit concerning. I feel tempted to reinforce it with some fiberglass/kevlar/carbonfiber when the time comes.

IMG_0484.JPG

I should've worn a dustmask as all I could smell that evening was dust/rust/mold that embedded into my nasal cavity.:dead: So new floors need fabbing. I figured as much.

DSC03047.JPG

DSC03048.JPG

I feel much better just seeing and knowing what's in store for me though.

Last edited:
Rust is the reason i am on my 3rd scorpion, * of the other ones i have driven have returned to the earth. My latest one is rust free couldn't believe it.

So took a little plunge

and bought some of the replica Cromodora CD66's from Allisons'. I was initally concerned about how well they would look and fit. I happened to have some old 195/60r15s which should give me a good idea about space in the wheel well. Well no worries as they look sharp and proper on the car!

fullsizeoutput_a6.jpeg

They remind me of the CD66's fitted to Ferrari Dino's and 308GT4s. I got 3 of them fitted but the driver side rear wheel lug bolts are rusted to the hub. On top of that it has the most destroyed old tire on it so I can't even roll it out to take a photo of the passenger side!:wall::censored::guns:

*deep breath*

So I will be spraying and soaking it in Kroil for a bit and hopefully it will break free...or else the drill is coming out to play with some hardened bits...

Last edited:
Get a bigger wrench...

Success! Got the last wheel off and she's a roller! Here's a pic of my U.S. DOT off-road suspension and balloon tires on the wheels:

DSC03157.JPG

Not a lot of progress, but every step forward and so on and so forth...

Last edited:
Back