A great day with my Abarth today...

zonker

Just Another FIAT Freak
Today started out with Cheryl and I taking a 80 mile trip to Knotts Berry Farm to capitalize on a pair of complimentary tickets. After dinner at Virginia Knott's Chicken Resteraunt, we decided to drive south on Beach Blvd and take a small cruise down highway 1 from Huntington Pier to Fashion Island. With the top retracted and the stereo playing, we took in the sights and smells of the coast at dusk.

Highway 1 in OC is always a mecca for seeing rare, expensive, and unusual cars and tonight was no exception. Before I knew it, I heard the most intoxicating exhaust note as I approached what turned out to be a new-ish Lamborghini Murcilago. I pulled up next to him at a light and gave him the thumbs up. At that point he rolled down his window, smiled back and started revving his motor.
Oh what a sound! Sex to my ears!

Of couse I revved back with my little popping growling Abarth, then left the light showing him what kind of thrust and noise my little Italian econobox can make. I gave her full throttle in 1st and second to overtake him then let off the gas.
He then reciprocated and dropped the hammer on that rocket and sling-shotted past me until he reached something not too far above legal speeds. We then came up the the next light and I complimented him about how awesome his car sounds. He then said to me, your car moves pretty fast, I didn't expect you to be able to do that. I just shook my head in agreement and said well yes but obviously not as fast as yours. I then asked him how many miles he had on the car (it had dealer paper plates) and he said 8k miles! It was his daily driver!

All during this time driving down Hwy 1, there were two more cars trolling around the Lambo: a newer 3 series BMW and a Chrysler SRT8. For the next 5 miles or so the four of us were slowing down and passing each other just so we could listen and watch each others cars zoom off.
Eventually I reached my turn and made a left onto Jamboree Rd. as the Lambo turned right into the posh neighborhood it probably resided, and the BMW and SRT8 kept going south on CA-1. What a fun impromptu time I just had, and arguably it would not have been possible if I was driving any other type of car.

I sure do love this little pissed off mouse of a car.

Rob

Nice story...

that's life in the OC along the Gold Coast. My wife and I grew up there and visit often and yes... one does see numerous exotics driving along PCH and/or Laguna Canyon Rd. Back in the day, one of my favorite things on weekends was to take my girlfriend for a drive in my (at the time) newish '74 X along that stretch to either Huntington Beach or south to Dana Point to grab some lunch or dinner. Fond memories.

Regards

aaah

dana point. have you had the pleasure of Turk's diner on the waterfront??
awesome food. long story short. left my shift at the nuclear power plant doing eddy current, and had a huge plate of prime rib and eggs....and a couple of bloody maries before the next shift .
gotta go there soon as I have to drag papa tony out and have some fun:woot:
mikemo

Back