#EngineSwap : WIP Tablet Dash for K20...

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
I downloaded this really cool dash app to run on an Android tablet sDash. Pretty cool way to get all the critical data that is already captured and fed into/out of the customized ECU. It's cool and all, but it was getting to be a pain to actually try and read it while I was driving (safely). So I decided to mount it in the center dash. I quickly found a lot of cool uses for it as well, like a radio replacement, GPS and a number of other cool things. Here are some pics of the unit installed and framed.

photo-2-6-e1438649538108.jpg

photo-1-51-e1438649637414.jpg

I also posted some stuff around it on fiatmonkey

NICE!

Is there the ability to integrate the HVAC controls? I'm only at the very beginning of my Arduino HVAC/Climate controller and the more I think about it the more I realise I have a VERY long road ahead!

Well done Tim... I understand Ford is going back...

to some analog appearing dials and the like just as you mentioned... difficult to tap your finger on the right place while driving.

The first Tesla I rode in I could not take my eyes off the huge 9 by 18 inch vertical display... and thank God I wasn't driving!

I guess I'm just too old!

NICE!

Is there the ability to integrate the HVAC controls? I'm only at the very beginning of my Arduino HVAC/Climate controller and the more I think about it the more I realise I have a VERY long road ahead!

To do something with the stock HVAC controls in an X19 would be tough. Modern cars all use less mechanical and more electronic controls. However, whatever can be switched over can be modified and controlled (somehow) with an app on your tablet. I removed the switch that controls heater fan and I am relocating the switch. I am also considering adding a fan button to an app dashboard I am writing. I have never written an Android app, but tons of code for other applications so see how this goes. I think the "simple" 3 position switch would be a good test whether I have the chops to do it.

My plan is to use some RC servo motors to replace the vaccum motors. Pretty easy to program on Arduino.

My plan is to use some RC servo motors to replace the vaccum motors. Pretty easy to program on Arduino.

How did I miss you mentioning Arduino?? That will be super cool and totally doable. I am going to be following your project for sure ;)

Back