Flipper???

Were those wheels really a factory option?
Headlights are busted, they should be down with the car not running, or at least lit up with the key on, to have them up but not on seem to indicate something is wrong. Likely permanently up (busted)?
It is a pretty nice car but the first price was decent, the second a bit optimistic. IMHO.
Stylish ladder bumpers? Hmmm.
Looks like a truck mirror bolted to the door.

Stock steel wheels painted yellow

Those look like stock steels from here with a fresh coat of yellow and trim rings.
IM001730.JPG

A 79 I had many years ago came with cloverleaf steelies painted black with chrome trim rings.

Last edited:
The first one is a better deal!

Just kidding. Craigslist is a strange world. Could be flip, could be decided to go up and negotiate down, could be one of the ads was posted by someone who doesn't even own the car and just wants to hit you over the head & take your money when you come to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't read Jeff

You should know that I can't read Jeff. I just look at the pictures. :)

Could be the wheels were a "dealer" option. My 78 has the Saratoga top, body side molding and luggage rack listed on the original dealer sale contract, so I guess anything is possibly an "option".

78_sales_agreement.jpg

Last edited:
Headlights are busted, they should be down with the car not running, or at least lit up with the key on, to have them up but not on seem to indicate something is wrong. Likely permanently up (busted)?

Actually, the headlights "can" indeed stay up with the key off. At least any car, earlier than 1982 - if you turn off the car with the headlights ON, the pods will stay up. If they're in the middle position, they will turn off.

Perhaps the newer cars have a different setup, as I do know they have a different headlight switch. :)

that is true now that I think about, turn off the ignition with lights still on and the pods will freeze up and the lights will be off, I think, no biggie, I like the car even so. For that kind of money the headlights should work though.

Definitely looks like a flip - took it from Buffalo to Long Island and doubled the price! Doubt it will sell for that kind of money.

Ed

That's in Cali where they're all rust free, and a dime a dozen it seems. In the rust belt, not so much.
I wonder if you couldn't buy these up over the course of a year, get 7 or 8 of these, trailer them into the rust belt and sell them off for a profit, and to provide rust free Xs to us poor souls who have only dreamed of such a thing.

The flipper dropped the price by $1,500. I wonder if he saw this thread. Lol.

I didn't even notice the mirror, that confirms it's the same car.

Happens all the time. I sold my 80 spider for $2,900 and the guy turned around and advertised it for close to $10,000. That was a year ago and it was constantly on craigslist and sometimes ebay. I didn't care as I was happy with the price I got. I guess if you are in no rush and a big optimist then you might snag some clown who has no idea of what the car is worth.

I've sold many bikes to a local bike flipper and recently facilitated selling my daughter's Nissan Xterra to a friend who is a "pro" car flipper. True flippers have greater patience with the craigslist scene and the inherent energy associated with trying to sell an overpriced car/bike/etc, so they can have the extra money as far as I see it. They also have the stomach for doing nice pimping/repairing of machines that sometimes I don't think are worth sinking money into. What sucks is when the flippers have honed their skill to scoop up any good or even fair deal faster than any enthusiast can. Case in point, I ended up getting to know the local bike flipper after every time I was selling a bicycle, I would get an email from him saying I have cash and would like to pick up your bicycle as quickly as possible please call me...whereas others emailed with some questions & the basic stuff you might expect. Thing is, it was always a good deal for me and I did not have to waste time. In The process we got to be friends and I learned a bit about how it works. My friend who flips cars makes more money then he will ever expect to make with his masters degree in environmental engineering, sort of works on his own schedule, and a couple times a year takes nice trips to other countries with cash. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you took them to the rust belt, wouldn't they rust?
:)
Yes, and quickly but not until I flogged them as they were intended.:sun:
Not really....it would be nice to have something better to start from though then the rusted hulks that remain here. I'm off to look at one near me in an hour. No pictures but he probably wants more than it's worth, asking $1,500 and listed as "not too rusty" not run in 17 years.
Can't hurt to look, it's only 1 mile away. Who knows if it's much better than mine I can scoop it up and use mine as a parts car to restore it.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/5840077455.html

Last edited:
Yes, and quickly but not until I flogged them as they were intended.:sun:
Not really....it would be nice to have something better to start from though then the rusted hulks that remain here. I'm off to look at one near me in an hour. No pictures but he probably wants more than it's worth, asking $1,500 and listed as "not too rusty" not run in 17 years.
Can't hurt to look, it's only 1 mile away. Who knows if it's much better than mine I can scoop it up and use mine as a parts car to restore it.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/5840077455.html

Let us know how the car is. Seems like a lot of money for a car that last ran 17yrs ago! Not too rusty? Not too rusty for what? To be usable as a car, or not too rusty for the scrap yard? That's one of those ads that I would go, nope, pass...and keep looking. ...normally....but only 1 mile from me, ya I'd check it out.

I went to see it. Typical Michigan car; rust in all the same places some not as bad as mine, some worse $200 car glass was good. Floors shot, windshield surround, trunk pockets going fast, rockers, in front and behind each wheel, you know the drill.
I'm thinking about offering him a few dollars above scrap but I doubt he'll bite. I don't want to insult him. Scrape price for a car around here is like $150.
I would have to borrow a truck and trailer, chase 15 miles west for the trailer, then 30 miles east for the car then take the trailer back. Chew up a whole day, store a POS at my house for a few months while I tore it down and gleaned what I could which is honestly a windshield. That's all I could use. I would do it but SWMBO won't have it!

Last edited:
Back