No Title, No VIN......... Not mine..

double wow

I got an answer back for the x on Craig's list. he will take 500.00 for it, but I have to move it. anybody going cross country soon??
a pony express type of thing??
or know of a reputable moving transport company??
I am determined not to strip this one and use what I have here to get her up and running to sell to a member of the forum, or to a newbee soon to be a forum member:excited:
mikemo

74?

I've been debating with myself if it's a 74 or not.... I think it is.

the rear sheet metal is the giveaway for me, no grill (could be a bad angle, but looks smooth to me).

Plus you can't see the bumper mount holes/grommets behind the rear bumper. (again the angle could be perfect where the top bar covers them, but the bumper mounting holes are usually big enough you can see them from that angle)

perhaps it's a "donor"

and it's numbers have been 'harvested'; the right side of the bulkhead above the battery box looks like it's gone.

Jeff

Mike, I merged your post into this thread

It seemed like this belonged here rather than as a stand alone post in the DF.

x

got a bite on the car and he will sell it to me for 500. if I can pick it up. good side, save an x, bad side I become an x.
don't have a trailer or a hitch on the Tahoe either. sooo can we put our collective mind together and figure a way to solve this:worship:
mikemo

got a bite on the car and he will sell it to me for 500. if I can pick it up. good side, save an x, bad side I become an x.
don't have a trailer or a hitch on the Tahoe either. sooo can we put our collective mind together and figure a way to solve this:worship:
mikemo

save your marriage, send it to me and wreck mine!

mystery x

mine if I can find a way to get from la to here.
papa tony?? naa, it's football season. jj? next visit???
ah what the hell. I will pay the man and you drag it home and we can figure the logistics from there.
mikemo

HAY MIKE

The hood retaining plates came out in 75. I owned three 75's and they all had hood retaining plates. I have owned twelve 74's and none of them had hood retaining plates. This is a Johnny Cash car, a little of everything.

Charlie

ONE MORE THING

I can't see the vin tag in the windshield. Maybe it's there but I can't see it, makes me think this thing may have an altered VIN. Be careful

Charlie

Tim... you are right and... yur wrong as well.

Changing VINs is a felony, installing ANY engine in ANY car 1975 and earlier is not illegal in CA or in any other state that I know of. CA is usually the strictest.

But... its really 6 of one and a half dozen of the other... The changing of VINs is/was usually used to STEAL cars, hence they made that part illegal.

I believe Edlebrock (and some others) have come out with brand new crate motors that meet or exceed requirements and are blessed by the powers to be installed in performance cars and hot rods. I am not sure of the laws around this and what years are applicable... and don't have any interest in doing the research...

Look who I'm talkin' to... you have a '74 or '75 with a late model Honda/Acura mill don'cha! You could put a small helicopter jet engine in there if ya wanted to... It would sure keep tailgaters away...

Changing VINs is a felony, installing ANY engine in ANY car 1975 and earlier is not illegal in CA or in any other state that I know of. CA is usually the strictest.

But... its really 6 of one and a half dozen of the other... The changing of VINs is/was usually used to STEAL cars, hence they made that part illegal.

I believe Edlebrock (and some others) have come out with brand new crate motors that meet or exceed requirements and are blessed by the powers to be installed in performance cars and hot rods. I am not sure of the laws around this and what years are applicable... and don't have any interest in doing the research...

Look who I'm talkin' to... you have a '74 or '75 with a late model Honda/Acura mill don'cha! You could put a small helicopter jet engine in there if ya wanted to... It would sure keep tailgaters away...
So really I was right and I was right.

Changing the VIN is illegal (right #!)

Changing the drivetrain is legal, but I'm not sure of CA (second right)

Now, if the last part of your comment was directed to me mine is an 86 with a bone stock 1500

ah ha....

found the link to what we all are all striving for. it has a one piece reservoir for the brakes as opposed to the front/rear separate from each other.........oh wait......that could been changed out too. DAMN thought I figured this dilemma out.
anddddd we do have to much time on our hands
mikemo
I will send another e mail and see if there is a vin involved:excited:

x revisted

I stand corrected. tis' a 74!!
looking at the pics again, the bolt hole for the bumper mounting can be seen in the round hole in the stripe.
my way bad
mikemo

I agree with the opinion it's a '74 too. The console has silver painted trim around the heater controls and the dashboard does not have the warning light recesses near the headlamp switch

WRONG TIM, Sorry... I was thinking of Tim upstate...

here in CA... Tim Hoover in Redwood City...

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/241377/

I must've had a "senior moment" as it was late in my post when I saw I was typing to a "Tim" and hence thought I was mistaken... for even bothering with him (Tim Hoover), as he shoulda known better.

As for changing engines in '75 and earlier cars in CA, it is indeed quite legal here... These cars are totally exempt from smog tests as well as safety inspections and the latter part I wish it was not. So much junk driving around... and usually uninsured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike... I thought I replied to you... maybe it was a PM...

Excuse me if I this is a duplicate...

On the Firewall behind the Battery there is a VIN stamped into it and cannot be removed without cutting.

If its there... have him photograph it and then you need to call or write the DMV to insure it is NOT stolen, or has any leans against it.

If there is NO VIN it is of suspicious origin but someone proving it was theirs would find it impossible. Price drops accordingly.

If you ever wanted to put this on the street again you would need to illegally acquire and new VIN and again illegally weld it into the firewall in such a manner that an inspector would really haveta suspect something, and then go to a lot trouble to find it.*

There are ways to actually get a NEW VIN legally assigned but I have not had an experience with that since 1967. They MAY have changes some of those laws in the last 50 years and otherwise... I don't think its worth the effort.

Buying it for PARTS... I wouldn't do that if I were you and I have never met your wife...

Alas, what I speak of here is only THEORY and I personally have no "first hand" knowledge of what I speak... Furthermore... Please read an initial that you have read and agree to the following:

[FONT=&quot]DISCLAIMER:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] This message does not necessarily reflect the views of the sender, or, for that matter, any other carbon-based life form; Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; All models are 18 years of age or older; Dry clean only, do not use bleach, tumble dry and remove immediately; Do not bend, fold, staple or mutilate; Anchovies, cheese or jalapenos may be added to orders upon request for an additional charge; No substitutions are allowed; Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt to duplicate, your actual mileage may vary; Available for a limited time only while supplies last, offers are void where prohibited by law; Humor is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; The user assumes full liabilities and the originator is not liable for damages due to use or misuse; We are an equal opportunity employer, with no regard to race, religion, sex, or sexual preference; No shoes, no shirt, no service; Read at your own risk, this post may contain material some may find to be objectionable; Parental advisory: Explicit lyrics, keep away from pets and small children; Limit one-per-family please; No money down, 36 months to pay; No purchase necessary; Ask us about our guns-for-dope trade-in plan; You need not be present to win; Some assembly required, batteries not included; Action figures sold separately; Contents were packed full at the factory, but may have settled during shipping; Peanuts and peanut products are produced in this establishment and also consumed by the author; Sanitized and sealed for your protection; Do not use if safety seal is broken; Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment; Safety goggles may be required during use; Use gloves when handling; Call before you dig; Use only with proper ventilation; For external use only, if swelling, redness, rash, or irritation develops, discontinue use; Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; Keep away from open flames; Avoid inhaling fumes or contact with mucous membranes; Contents under pressure, may explode if incinerated; Smoking may be hazardous to your health; No smoking allowed, except in designated areas; The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; Text is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; Only Organic, Range-Free products are used once they are caught; No animals were harmed while writing this post; No salt, MSG, preservatives, artificial color, or flavor added; If ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult a comedian; Ribbed for your pleasure, slippery when wet; Must be 18 to enter, no one under 21 allowed; We check IDs to age 40; Seniors welcome, ask for our senior menu; Present discount coupons to cashier before totaling; An 18% gratuity will be added to the total for parties of 8 or more; We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone; Return all carts to the store; Thank you for shopping with us; No returns after 30 days without the original receipt, all items sold as is/where is; Lifetime Warranty for an additional modest fee; No dogs allowed, except for the visually or mentally impaired; Penalties for early withdrawal, one size fits all; Offer is valid only at participating sites; Prices slightly higher west of the Rockies; Allow four to six weeks for delivery; Shipping & Handling is extra, Free Shipping on orders over $100 dollars; If defects are found, do not attempt a repair, return item to an authorized service center; Ask about our next day shipping; 30 days free with a copy of your Credit Card and you agree to be billed at the rate of only $9.99 a month... but wait, if you call within the next 10 minutes, we'll double your offer and add free Shipping & Handling for an additional charge;[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Please remain seated until the vehicle has come to a complete stop; Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear; Fasten seat belts; In the unlikely event of a loss in cabin pressure, oxygen masks will fall from above, cover your face first, then assist those around you. Your seat cushion may be used as a flotation device; This disclaimer is invalid in the event of hurricanes, floods, hailstorms, tornadoes, earthquakes, sonic booms, vibration, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, or any other act of war; Also any unauthorized repair, improper installation, misuse, typos, misspelled words, missing or altered signatures, and incidents owing to computer or disk failure, accidental file deletions, and Acts of God. Other restrictions may, or may not apply.
[/FONT]
My Best,

Tony

*Any year X1/9 VIN would do but it would be best to have one that is numbered no more than... 40758 as the last 5 digits. This would indicate it was a 1975 or earlier.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

All 50 states issue replacement VIN's and they will start with the first two letters being the state of issue, ie. CAXXXXXXX would be a California VIN.

But, to have them issue one you must prove to a state auto theft investigator that the car is not stolen and there is a valid reason for issuance. Most times it is because an insurance company has paid off a total claim on the car and seized the original VIN plate.

HAY BLACK TOOTH

You are right that 75 and earlier cars are smog exempt in California but it is still illegal to change the motor or any smog equipment unless you are installing a later motor and bring that motor up to the smog requirements of the new motor. You probably will not get caught if you do change the motor but it is defiantly illegal. I recently went thru this with CARB and the Bureau of Automotive Repair here. However they also said that they don't really push the issue as they don't have the money to do that.

Charlie

Back