850 Spider question...

Hermanzini

Daily Driver
Hope for some input from the 850 spider experts in here!:)

I was looking at a s1 850 spider today for sale here in Norway.
Everything looked ok on the surface, but the floor looked funny to me...
Is it correct that the "cross" on the underside should hang in mid air?
It was welded only in the ends, I would guess is should have been welded to the floor all the way if it is there to strengheten the structure?
Also the floor looked flat on the underside, probably also wrong...?

I only have some bad phone pics, sorry!

As you say, bad pictures.
I'm not sure if that X is original, the profile looks a little odd. But the original X is not welded all the way across.

Looks like all of the floor has been replaced and the original X replaced with a locally sourced and made solution.

Actually

This local repair could be a good thing. The crossbrace Fiat put in was notorious for rusting through, it was only folded metal to begin with so any survivor today likely had the X replaced.

I'd suggest you see if the car could be driven to an auto body/mechanic shop for inspection of the whole car, not just the brace.

There's so very few of the covered headlight version available, that if the price of this car is good, it would definitely be worth buying. I've seen the covered headlights and assemblies got for over $ 1,000 US, with the lenses alone going for $ 300. It might be worth more time looking this over. As others have said the photos are not good enough to judge by themselves.

You never mentioned the price, but a visit to the mechanic might save you enough money to cover the cost to have them inspect.

Good luck!

How much will this early spider be worth when finished?

The askingprice was 7204 usd, but he will sell for 5436 usd.
The chassisnumber is 20564.

Congrats!!!

Hope it goes very well for you. This board is a small part of XWEB but there are a few really knowledgeable 850 owners here to ask questions of.

On the other hand there's guys like me too :)

I just bought the Spider for 4703 usd....

Congratulations. I think that's a pretty good price.
Is it a running car that can be enjoyed as is?
The question is what you want in the end.
With rust repair like the X the question is always how well it was done.
If done well it should not be a problem to drive the car.
If you intend to restore to show quality you will never recoupe your cost but if you just want a nice driver then the previous repair might be fine.

Please post better pictures when you can.

I have a 67, very little rust but not running. I'm trying to decide what to do with it, probably going to restomod.

Thanks!

Here are some pictures from 2011, before it was rust repaired.

Does anyone know if the hubcaps are original option, I have not seen them before.

Re: Hubcaps

Does anyone know if the hubcaps are original option, I have not seen them before.

Those hubcaps are definitely not original for the car. They almost look like a mix of 2 or 3 different sets of wheel covers? The domed cap & 2-eared spinner are reminiscent of certain aftermarket Ruspa-made items available for Fiat 600/1100/1200/etc. back in the day, but I don't recognize the slotted perimeter piece at all.

Whatever they're from, they certainly don't add anything attractive to the fine lines of the early 850 Spider. :2c:

Those hubcaps are definitely not original for the car. They almost look like a mix of 2 or 3 different sets of wheel covers? The domed cap & 2-eared spinner are reminiscent of certain aftermarket Ruspa-made items available for Fiat 600/1100/1200/etc. back in the day, but I don't recognize the slotted perimeter piece at all.

Whatever they're from, they certainly don't add anything attractive to the fine lines of the early 850 Spider. :2c:

I totally agree on the hubcaps, I just wondered if it was something original.
I think I am going with a set of Borrani wire wheels on this one.
Thank you Jeff, it is good to have a Fiat guru to ask!:)

One more question, should all spiders have Bertone signs on the front wings? There are none on this car, no mounting holes neither.

I am going to pick the car up this weekend, if all is going to plan.:D

I totally agree on the hubcaps, I just wondered if it was something original. I think I am going with a set of Borrani wire wheels on this one.

If you do, I may be interested in the hubcaps. More specifically, the 2-eared spinners & the mounting brackets required for them. My Viotti 600 Coupe has the same Ruspa hubcaps as in the photo I posted, & spare parts are always nice to have in case anything should happen to the originals on the car. :)

One more question, should all spiders have Bertone signs on the front wings? There are none on this car, no mounting holes neither.

Yes, all 850 Spiders have the Bertone "b" crest & the Torino bar emblem below it on each front fender. Original emblems were plastic, but there are metal reproductions available as well (from Alfas). If you look closely on the inside (back) of the front fenders, you'll probably find some body filler material squished through the original emblem mounting holes. The holes are there, that's how they came from the factory.

If you do, I may be interested in the hubcaps. More specifically, the 2-eared spinners & the mounting brackets required for them. My Viotti 600 Coupe has the same Ruspa hubcaps as in the photo I posted, & spare parts are always nice to have in case anything should happen to the originals on the car. :)

Yes of course you can have them if you want.

Yes, all 850 Spiders have the Bertone "b" crest & the Torino bar emblem below it on each front fender. Original emblems were plastic, but there are metal reproductions available as well (from Alfas). If you look closely on the inside (back) of the front fenders, you'll probably find some body filler material squished through the original emblem mounting holes. The holes are there, that's how they came from the factory.

Thank you, I will look for those.

One more question, what type of dashboard was standard on early spiders?
I have seen wood, black and aluminium.....

-

Yes of course you can have them if you want.

Great, thanks! :)

One more question, what type of dashboard was standard on early spiders? I have seen wood, black and aluminium.....

The faux-wood dash panels seen on your car are "correct" for the year & are likely original. They are steel plate with a plasticized covering made to look like wood. These dash panels were used 1966-71 (with 2 or 3 slight variations depending on year).

The black basketweave vinyl-covered panels were used on the 850CL & later on the 850 Racer cars.

The aluminum panels came in 2 versions; with rounded corners for 1966-71 type dashboard & with sharp/angular corners for 1972-73 type dashboards. The aluminum panels with rounded corners were used on some 850 Racer Team cars, while the ones with sharp/angular corners were used on 1972-73 850 Spiders & will only fit the dashboard on those 2 years (the contours of the dashboard pad itself are different from the earlier type).

I think I will put it together enjoy it for a coupple of years, but there is some bad repairs that will need some attention.

Here are some better pictures of the floor and the x.

I think the spider looks nice with the Borrani wire wheels.

:D

Some more pics, I have sourced new rear lights and Bertone signs on the front wings.

Here are some pics of the hub cap "knock offs". Let me know if you are still interested, Jeff!
Two are ok with some marks and two are a little rusty, one missing Fiat emblem.

Gotta say, I love everything in your garage. Including the model kits.

Looking good!

Yes...

Here are some pics of the hub cap "knock offs". Let me know if you are still interested, Jeff! Two are ok with some marks and two are a little rusty, one missing Fiat emblem.

Yes, I'm still interested in them, thank you. :)

Last edited:
Back