Safety Recall - Clutch Diaphragm

lookforjoe

True Classic
Anyone else recieved one of these notices? Sounds like we will be getting a new clutch installed once they have stock of the recall components. 57K on our 2012. Wife says sometimes the clutch felt odd & couldn't get first or reverse momentarily. Can't say I've felt anything odd with it. Sounds like there have been catastrophic failures, though.

I have had some trouble into reverse but I have the same or similar with other makes/models. However, I have had 2 slaves go bad!

What they're going to do.

Nope. No new clutch pressure plate. They're going to install a limiter under the clutch pedal to reduce to amount of pedal travel and a new safety switch for the reduced travel. Engineers, gotta love 'em.

Anyone else recieved one of these notices? Sounds like we will be getting a new clutch installed once they have stock of the recall components. 57K on our 2012. Wife says sometimes the clutch felt odd & couldn't get first or reverse momentarily. Can't say I've felt anything odd with it. Sounds like there have been catastrophic failures, though.

My wife got the notice a few weeks back. We haven't noticed any problems, but the notice made it sound like this was a catastrophic failure... I'm imagining something that would happen out of the blue, suddenly you can't disengage the clutch to shift gears.

It's been a while (notice arrived in July) but last week we got another letter telling us that repair components were available and we could call the local dealership... We did, and we're bringing the car in tomorrow morning.

somethings never change, I had this failure on my X last Thursday! (for different reasons I'm sure)

It's been a while (notice arrived in July) but last week we got another letter telling us that repair components were available and we could call the local dealership... We did, and we're bringing the car in tomorrow morning.
Except that (grouch, grouch, grouch, ....) they ran out of the upgrade kits. Rescheduled for early December.

We got the notice about 3-4 months ago. When I contacted Fiat, they said that (at that time) there was no fix and that itd take upto 90 days for the remedie to be finalized and announced. Fast forward 3 months and just 3 days ago, and we got the card stating the proposed fix and to be presented at the dealership. Theryre gonna replace the diaphragm.

How has your experience been with the recal? I just had it done yesterday. Gotta say I liked the clutch feel better before. The new pedal down limit and feel is just odd somehow. The pedal feels less springy and more numb. The pedal only travels like half of what it used to.

On ours, they installed a pedal stop to prevent over-extension of the diaphragm fingers.

I've actually had to do this on my X1/9!! (my 1982 has a limiter or hard stop on the floor, compared to earlier versions that did not). Anyway, once in a while, the clutch wouldn't engage at high RPM until the revs drop!

How has your experience been with the recal? I just had it done yesterday. Gotta say I liked the clutch feel better before. The new pedal down limit and feel is just odd somehow. The pedal feels less springy and more numb. The pedal only travels like half of what it used to.

Sorry -didn't see this - I didn't feel a significant difference, the pedal just doesn't travel as far, feel/response is unchanged.

I've actually had to do this on my X1/9!! (my 1982 has a limiter or hard stop on the floor, compared to earlier versions that did not). Anyway, once in a while, the clutch wouldn't engage at high RPM until the revs drop!

My '87 has a hard stop on the floor also. Some have mentioned removing it when having engagement issues.

Back