My 1974 Fiat 128 Berlina

This is why I asked you for the phone # Steve, that way I could ask all the questions at once haha... but nevertheless, the forum is VERY helpful!

128 Sedan spring is very long... about 9.5 coils from memory...as is the bump stop assembly. coupe front strut is identical to sedan, just the spring height and rate is different, bump stop is shorter.

Rear coupe shock is slightly lower, the mount is about 6/8mm further up the strut tube... but what makes the ride height lower is the flatter arch...rate is about the same.

a112 is like a 127 strut, much shorter strut rod (but can use x19 inserts) and strut body...I found 127 struts too short myself and too low.YMMV.

SteveC

If you hunt around you'll find BOGE struts... good balance between ride and handling. SACHS are also pretty good. I don't really like the monroe gas charged struts, I find them a bit harsh.

They are quite cheap in Europe.

LCA's try find TRW branded ones...absolute best quality. You can use ritmo/regata ones, but they use an M10 bolt on the inner, not an M8...easy enough to change the crush tube though.

Rear control arms I think the ritmo/regata are slightly longer between centres... and push the track out.

If you want to hunt down some 128 3P front hubs and steering rack, you can get a stronger- less bump steering - front end. The front hubs are much beefier in the steering arm area, and the steering rack uses the late non adjustable one piece style inner tie rod end (just like the X19)... much better system (and no play)

SteveC

index.php

This pictures was taken before 4 hours of agonizing frustration..
I started with a "half" downpipe from a Fiat Tempra and a rusty and slightly shortened downpipe from god knows what. Well, the crusty one was hitting the firewall so I decided to make "ONE" out of two, which was a rather bad decision.

Now I am sitting here with no downpipes at all. So can anyone tell me which pipe, preferably with a partnumber, that will fit this manifold on my 128 and have the right characteristics?
images

The rest of the exhaust I will make from scratch, by reusing the two silencers which came with the car, they are stock, but brand new.

You could try a Yugo downpipe

It's very short (as in about a foot long), but should mount up fine to your manifold. You would need to fab up the rest from there.

I don't see any on ebay currently, which is where I bought mine years ago.

The other option would be to make a flange to bolt to the manifold and run pipes from there. Lots of work to be sure, but you seem to be pretty handy :)

My 1974 USA parts catalog says the downpipe is #4310245, superceded by #4331394, for sedan/wagon/coupe.

Thnx for the tips, but my welding machine said "this shait will fit no matter what" so, no it fits :)

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

I must admit that I suck at body work, bugs the crap out of me, but this car is now 99% rustfree, so at least there is that...

I am deciding what tires I should put on my CD11 13x5.5J wheels, could anyone post a picture with 175/65r13 and 185/60r13 on 5,5J wheels?

I would love to have a look, should help me decide ;)

Came across a fella who posted it on eBay for 17 euro, but he didn't want to ship it anywhere but Italy, finally after numerous offers and persuasion I received in the mail on Friday afternoon... :sun:

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Both holes that I left open when changing the outer panels are finally patched. I cant have them stay open like this, snow, rain and all sorts of crap will fly straight in there, clog up and rust...

The little 128 is coming closer and closer to the MOT date at the DMV, I can feel all the pieces are coming together.

For now the 1116cc and in September 1290cc... which is rebuilt, has a nice cam, ported head and 32/34 solex... Thinking about a 5-speed as well, but those plans are for later.

index.php

Thinking about this one.... but first hand I'll try to find points replacement from Petronix in UK, they might have the right stuff..

index.php

index.php

index.php

These are my new, home-made exhaust brackets for the middle muffler... They are thicker than they look, and support the muffler allowing little to no movement...

I have decided to weld the entire exhaust together while I am using the 1116cc, once the 1290cc in inn I will try to get my hands on ANSA exhaust, which hopefully does not lead to a divorce :laugh:

index.php

Front shocks from 127 and still looking for rear Autobianchi A112 shocks...

index.php

And here are all necessary sensors for my gauges...
So the work continues, it might not look the greatest when I am done, but it WILL be rustfree ;)

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

I have the electronic schematics for both Berlina and Rally, but unfortunately I cannot make sense of them, is there anyone who are willing to guide me step by step converting the Berlina gauge cluster to the Rally one? Including the extra Rally gauges, they still have a harness attached to them...

Figured out the wiring chart after all... good stuff.. I cant seem to find an electronic ignition kit for my 128 :/ It has an Ducellier 4412A distributor... can anyone here help or point me in the right direction?

If you want electronic ignition, why not get a stock unit from a 79 or later X1/9? I did that for several of my 128s.

Really nice seats for your car, where did you get them?

got them from BB classics for a total of 220$ including shipping from UK to Norway...Dirt cheap if you ask me.. I got the ignition sorted..

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Either there is some crap in the tank, I have looked but can't see much, perhaps a few tiny rust spots.. I'll invest in a new filter anyways.

index.php

Ultrasonic bath! Yes it works, just use the right "stuff" (chemicals) in there..

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

The original filler hose is basically a rubber hydraulic hose for an old Wisbeck lift :devil: the struggle of being a lift fitter.. there is actually a whole bunch of parts from old lifts that just "fit" the little fiat!!

Well, this is it for now.. stay tuned.. yawn.. I am getting tired.. and Fall is here, but this is all I've done this summer, so it flew by too fast..

Ultrasonic cleaners ate the best! I finally bought one (a few years ago) when I had a carburetor to rebuild. I agree - figuring out which chemicals to use is key. I started with common ultrasonic cleaning solution but it was making the aluminum turn dark and required a lot of hand cleaning afterwards to remove oxide residue. Apparently that solution was better for steel or stainless steel. I switched to a solution made to work with aluminum (OmegaClean) and have had great results since. Simple Green worked ok too. A friend does lots of motorcycle carb rebuilds and just outs Chem Dip in his.

Are the rear control arms new or did you clean and repaint the old ones? I have never seen grey ones before.

They are brand new and factory reinforced, as you can see the plates on the inside, basically they can take on more beating without giving in...

Well, I am almost done now... Can barely wait to get the plates nxt monday..

index.php

Back