More performance for the F.I. 1500?

Hey Crusader,

I'm sure that you have already seen this page concerning the conversion:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140626...-online.dk/x1-9/service-uk/engineconv-ut.html

Although I'm no expert in Uno Turbo conversions (I've seen a few, but never done one) I can share the following thoughts:

ECU:

The ECU in a mk1 Turbo is a Bosch LE2-Jetronic. According to wikipedia:

"This is a simplified and more modern variant of L-Jetronic. The ECU was much cheaper to produce due to more modern components, and was more standardised than the L-Jetronic ECUs. The connections between mass airflow meter and ECU are simplified. Three variants of LE-Jetronic exist: LE1, the initial version. LE2 (1984–), featured cold start functionality integrated in the ECU, which does not require the cold start injector and thermo time switch used by older systems. LE3 (1989–), featuring miniaturised ECU with hybrid technology, integrated into the junction box of the mass airflow meter.

"

So, for the ECU at least, you don't need the extra sensors. I'd personally go with the LE2, de to the integrated cold start functionality (cold start in the L-Jetronic is completely separate to the ECU and relatively crude). In addition, the part number for the Uno Turbo ECU (0 280 000 336) is unique to that car, implying that the internal circuitry is tuned specifically for that engine.

ICU:

The ignition control unit is much more important. Reading up on the Digiplex unit, it needs both a crank and flywheel sensor (for RPM). The latter is pretty easy: you just need to drill a hole in the existing transmission case and mount the hall effect sensor (I have a modified gearbox sensor in my cellar if you need a reference photo).

For the crank sensor, here is a thread that details it in more depth than I could:

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/24076/

You can probably get one made up (maybe Matt already has done that?).

In any case, I'd definitely recommend investing the time to get the Digiplex system working (including distributor, coil, ignition driver, etc.) if you want to get full power and have decent longevity for your engine.

Cheers,

Dom.

Thanks Dom, very informative. I would definitely appreciate a couple of pics if it is no trouble. Another issue we ran into is that the Air Flow Meter for the 1500 is a 6 or 7 pin affair (can't remember which) but the uno one is a 4 pin affair which would require rewording the harness. Will definitely have a second look at the Uno management system. Thanks again,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I have a full restoration/build thread on Facebook, if you would like more details. It is in Fiat Owners Gruop under "Greetings from Vancouver". Cheers,

For the OP, I would agree with others that a turbo is NOT a bolt on mod for a stock 1500 with stock EFI.

Besides the obvious hardware that should accompany a power increase amounting to 30-40% over stock (bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, etc), you have to considers things like larger injectors, higher volume fuel pump, and possibly a higher rated fuel pressure regulator. Most Bosch regulators are 1:1 rising rate, but will not maintain that ratio when fuel volume drops off, which it will using the stock components. Then you're running lean under load with no way to compensate....

Boost control cannot be left as simple wastegate actuation off manifold pressure - without some form of more sophisticated control you can well go from zero to full boost in a fraction of a second, which will kill your rods and or Pistons.

The ignition side is critical as NA timing curves are absolutely not appropriate for a turbo setup.

Gearing is another aspect to consider, as shift points & power band will change. Driving style will have to change to compensate for the change in output - this may not result in a driver friendly setup.

Running even .8bar on what is essentially an NA setup is definitely not going to create a lasting setup. Many stock light pressure turbo setups only run 6-8psi from the factory, and that's with hardware (oil squirters, etc.) designed to be turbocharged.

I have the uno turbo front crank cover and pulley with tooth wheel - if you are looking - I ended using the Volvo parts on mine.

For the OP, I would agree with others that a turbo is NOT a bolt on mod for a stock 1500 with stock EFI.

Besides the obvious hardware that should accompany a power increase amounting to 30-40% over stock (bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, etc), you have to considers things like larger injectors, higher volume fuel pump, and possibly a higher rated fuel pressure regulator. Most Bosch regulators are 1:1 rising rate, but will not maintain that ratio when fuel volume drops off, which it will using the stock components. Then you're running lean under load with no way to compensate....

Boost control cannot be left as simple wastegate actuation off manifold pressure - without some form of more sophisticated control you can well go from zero to full boost in a fraction of a second, which will kill your rods and or Pistons.

The ignition side is critical as NA timing curves are absolutely not appropriate for a turbo setup.

Gearing is another aspect to consider, as shift points & power band will change. Driving style will have to change to compensate for the change in output - this may not result in a driver friendly setup.

Running even .8bar on what is essentially an NA setup is definitely not going to create a lasting setup. Many stock light pressure turbo setups only run 6-8psi from the factory, and that's with hardware (oil squirters, etc.) designed to be turbocharged.

Thanks for the info. We are running an adjustable Turbo Maserati fuel regulator at 42psi. The brakes are all new and very adequate for slowing and stopping the car. Gears of coarse are short when on boost, we are looking into a different final gear setup, but it is workable. As for fuel delivery with the stock ECU and ignition module, we have installed an Air/fuel meter and the delivery is a bit rich up to 3500rpm and crosses over to optimal at 4500 to 5000 rpm. Have not run lean even at WOT. There is no ping or knock with this setup. We also shimmed the oil pump to run approximately 80psi. Granted, It is definitely a drivers car and not an easy Miata. Will keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry forgot one other build note. We have also matched the BOV (blow off valve) to the waste gate as to further protect against boost surge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back