non starting

tjmoore498

Low Mileage
I am looking at buying a "77 scorpion.... but it is non running...apparently it ran until the small compartment between the windshield and the front trunk got flooded........what could be the cause of the non starting problem in there?

thanks,
Tim

I can't think of anything in there that would affect starting. There is the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs, the wiper motor, the heater fan resistor, that's it. More likely water traveled from there into the main compartment and affected the fuse panel, or additional flooding caused other problems.

Beyond the usual ignition switch and starter parts and wiring, the Scorpions had a 2-relay fuel pump relay system. One relay powered the pump when the starter is cranked, the other relay powers the pump when the key is on and the oil pressure warning light is non illuminated. These relays are in the front right of the engine bay.

I can't imagine there's many to pick from. I bought my X non running and it just makes them cheaper. Chances are pretty good it's just a matter of finding the one little thing wrong. Time and head scratching, good diagnostics. Of course the engine could be junk, but I'd take the risk. Heck, I did with my X and I (we) figured it out.

As long as the price is correct, it shouldn't matter. Unless you aren't your own mechanic, in which case pass on a non-runner.

Sounds like the fuse panel got wet, check the condition of drain tubes at each side that run through under the dash.

Back