inconsistant idle

Byrbor

85bertone
My car seems to be fine but once i start driving under power it starts to choke really bad almost like its out of timing and tjen my idle slowely raises to almost 1500 and it likes to bounce around a little bit. i replaced the fuel filter and it was fine till about halfway through my comute and it started again

My car seems to be fine but once i start driving under power it starts to choke really bad almost like its out of timing and tjen my idle slowely raises to almost 1500 and it likes to bounce around a little bit. i replaced the fuel filter and it was fine till about halfway through my comute and it started again

Check the distributer shaft for side play. Excess slop can change the gap on breaker type distributers or the air gap on electronic ones. This changes the timing. It causes cutting out and even backfiring.

Well... Not so fast there, Bucko...

You have an electronic dizzy in that '85 and FI...

You need to check the FI Trouble Shooting Guide is Wiki here and follow a step by step process.

It still COULD be that dizzy shaft, but that is way down on the list, IMHO.

More later, I gotta git. But I would check fuel pressure first...

I talked to the guys at Vicks auto in TX they have never let me down and based on my symptoms and what happened he told me to check my coil because the overheating of the engine could have dried up the electrolight and next to check my teperature sensor and my O2 sensor. so i plan on checking out my distributor and replacing my coil and ill get back to you guys

Looks like you might be near me. I have a distributor I just pulled out if you want to test if thats the issue. I pulled it because it's starting to get old/upgraded system. but it was only missing randomly at *5k rpm under hard accel. I'm not selling it though. coil available for testing as well.

Have you checked compression?

Last edited:
I'll second the recommendation to test the temp sensor. Also, if you want to see if the O2 sensor is causing a problem (fluctuating idle is one symptom of a bad O2 sensor), unplug it and see how it runs.

The "bogging down" is usually a mixture issue, so the temp sensor (or the wiring, including grounds) is the #1 suspect for that. The grounds for the F.I. are the black wires with ring terminal ends that attach to the cam cover. If these don't have a good ground the ECU doesn't work well, since one of them is the reference ground for the O2 sensor and temp sensor.

When all else is good, also make sure the idle is set correctly, no more than 1000rpm. Above that and you can get into a sort of high-low-idle feedback loop.

Back