Anyone have an idea

dragonsgate

True Classic
what kind of car this is? The date written on the back of the photo is 1942. That is my dad by the car. He was just out of training and waiting to be go to Germany. The car was not his. He and my mom saw it and she took his picture. I have tried a little looking but can't find a positive match so thought maybe some of you might know.

For a second the side louvers reminded me of some years of the pre-war Lincoln Zephyr, but the Lincoln was a much longer car and had a side window behind the rear door.

My mom and dad are passed away but neither of them knew what it was. Mom said it was a cute car and she took the picture. I am sure dad would have known if it was a Willys or a Zeffer. The car always interested me as a kid and when I ask about it mom said they were so involved in the moment of being together before dad had to leave that they didn't really pay much attention to what is was other than it was cute and foreign. Oh well... I guess I have gone this long with out knowing it is not that important. Thanks.

It is a Cord

It is a Graham Hollywood, correction to the previous statement

This used the majority of the body dies from the Cord 810 Sedan.

From Wikipedia:
Desperate for a winning offering and unable to retool, Graham made a deal with the ailing Hupp Motor Co. in late 1939. According to the deal, the faltering company entered into an arrangement with Hupmobile to build cars based on the body dies of the stunning Gordon Buehrig-designed Cord 810/812. In an effort to remain in business, Hupp had acquired the Cord dies, but lacked the financial resources to build the car.

Graham agreed to build the Hupmobile Skylark on a contract basis, while receiving the rights to use the distinctive Cord dies to produce a similar car of its own, to be called the Hollywood. The striking Skylark/Hollywood differed from the Cord from the cowl forward with a redesigned hood, front fenders and conventional headlights, achieved by automotive designer John Tjaarda of Lincoln-Zephyr fame. The Cord's longer hood was not needed, as the Hupp and Graham versions were rear-wheel drive. This also necessitated modifying the floor to accept a driveshaft.

1941 Graham Hollywood Supercharged.
The Hollywood was available in a standard 6-cylinder version and a supercharged version. Each engine was manufactured by Graham-Paige itself. However, the Hollywood did not stop the company's slide. After its public introduction, orders poured in. However, manufacturing difficulties caused months of delay before deliveries began. Customers tired of waiting, and most of the orders were cancelled. Despite an enthusiastic initial public response, the car actually ended up being a worse flop in the sales department for both Graham and Hupmobile than either firm's respective preceding models. The company suspended manufacturing in September, 1940, only to reopen its plant for military production for World War II.

Last edited:
Back