Kinked Reservoir Hose at Master Cylinder

Tpatcher

Tpatcher
I had no success vacuum or pressure bleeding my front brakes, and the pads never seemed worn much. Pedal bleeding would get me a small amount of fluid. Looked up top of the MC with a mirror and found the front reservoir hose enters the cabin but goes towards the firewall then does a 180 back to the MC all in about two inches distance. My first thought was to pull the hose by hand from the frunk side, but it looks like a bind could occur and the MC hose fittings look like white plastic. A crack would mean more work. I've never replaced a MC in this car (PO did in 2008) so my question is can I just loosen the MC mounting bolts to get more play/room or will that risk jacking something else up? I need maybe 1/2" to be safe. I plan on greasing the hoses before pulling.

my question is can I just loosen the MC mounting bolts to get more play/room or will that risk jacking something else up? I need maybe 1/2" to be safe. I plan on greasing the hoses before pulling.

I've found it easier and more effective to loosen the four nuts (two against the front firewall, two mounting the steering column) that hold the pedal box in place. As long as you leave one of the front bulkhead nuts in place, even if very loose, it's not hard getting the thing back in and you'll have room to rework the hose routing. The job is still a PITA, but nowhere the PITA that it is if you take more than that apart.

The plastic master cylinder fittings can be rotated in place by hand, which helps a lot in getting a sane and kink-free routing.

Back