128 Sloppy Shifter

Triestino

Daily Driver
Hi,
Just took my '76 out of winter hibernation and was quickly reminded of the sloppy and vague shifter that existed prior to it being stored. It is next on my "to do" list but wanted to get some feedback on what might be wrong or where I should first look. To give you an idea, the shifter itself can be moved close to 3" (sideways) when engage in any gear. Getting the car in gear has become a challenge although once in gear, all is fine except the really sloppy movement. Any suggestions from those that experienced this issue?

shifter

Jack up the car and look where the shifter connects to the shift rod. Make sure there is no play at that joint. Then check the lollipop joint and make sure that is tight. Sloppiness just means there is too much play somewhere in the shift linkage and you have to do some detective work to find it.

carl

Mine had the bolt that holds the shift fork to the shaft broken off. Started as slop (I would presume) when the bolt broke the first time but got progressively worse and what I found was 2 "separate" pieces of the bolt left in the hole. At that time there was about 1/2" of wiggle of the fork on the shaft which translated to almost impossible clutch engagement but at first (maybe when the bolt broke originally) it was just a lot of slop and SOME difficulty with the clutch which I remedied with copious amounts of spacers where the cable goes through the loop on the bellhousing.

Yours might also just be the junction of the linkage "lollipop" to the lever that goes into the trans. There is a specific joint there with a stacked set like this...

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...Detail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=261415303

Thanks Carl/George for your suggestions. I will lift the car up this weekend and focus on the mentioned areas. I will report back what I find (with some pictures, if possible).

Back