Autobianchi Runabout Video

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
I don't recall seeing this YouTube video on the Autobianchi Runabout posted here, so here goes. Not a ton of new info but some pix I haven't seen before:

(The above popped up in my Son Of XWeb FaceBook feed, thanks to Tony DaSilva!)

BTW, on another page I read that the original concept for the Runabout was for it to be an amphibious vehicle, that's why it does not have any doors and why Gandini took many styling cues from power boats. Is this just the author's speculation or has anyone ever heard that elsewhere from reliable sources?

Last edited:
If you Google "Runabout" you will see the top results are all small pleasure boats. It certainly looks boat-ish.

Dan made me post these pictures. :) I believe they originated from Ash back in the early Xweb 1.0 days.
ffbarch2.JPG
ffbarch1.JPG

In that last picture Jim posted it looks like Ginger is at the helm. Guess the Skipper was busy chasing after Gilligan. Must have been before the three hour tour started.

Was there more than one Autobianchi Runabout made? Some of the photos in the video appear like different cars.

a "re-creation"
That makes more sense, I didn't think there would have been more than one prototype/show-car/design model of it. Also some of the images appear to be graphics rather than actual photos, but the quality of some of the images is poor enough that it is difficult to tell for sure (at least at the quick glance I gave it).

I have also seen it refered to as Bertone Runabout Barchetta. Barchetta translates as small boat in Italian.
Bertone Runabout Barchetta.jpg

Back