axle stubs in x1/9 wheel bearing

Rod Midkiff

True Classic
Does the X1/9 wheel bearing need to have the axle stubs in and torque to keep the wheel bearing in place? I know many FWD wheel bearings need to have the axle stub in.

In the past, I was told it was not needed on the x1/9 (I installed it anyway as I had one at hand)

Does the X1/9 wheel bearing need to have the axle stubs in and torque to keep the wheel bearing in place? I know many FWD wheel bearings need to have the axle stub in.

In the past, I was told it was not needed on the x1/9 (I installed it anyway as I had one at hand)
? The bearing is held in with a step in the inside, and a retainer on the outside of the upright. They won't just fall out if you don't install the axle stub.

Of course you can't bolt a wheel on to the hub if the stub shaft isn't installed, so you have to have the hub/stub shaft installed if you want to roll the car around.

On the rear of a 5spd car it's just fine to unbolt the axle at the CV joint, and roll the car around with just the hub and stub axle installed. You can even flat tow it that way with no issues. But...while it's easy to unbolt the 5spd axles/CV joints from the stub shaft, it's not so easy on the 4spd. On the 4spd you CAN take the CV joint apart and remove the axle, but it's not as easy as just unbolting it like it is on a 5spd. For that reason many 4spd cars that are "rollers" had the axles attached to the stub shaft, and supported on the inside end so that they can rotate when the car is rolled. I wouldn't think anyone would consider flat towing a 4spd car with the axles installed. :eek: But for a 5spd, no problem. (If that was what you wanted to know.)

I am a bit confused about not being able to install the wheel part.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

And have I made a mistake pushing my car down the driveway this way?

Attachments

• IMG_9046[1].JPG
    IMG_9046[1].JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 51

Retaining the axle stubs in the X1/9 wheel bearing is recommended for stability and safety, similar to many FWD setups. While some may say it's not necessary, it's wise to follow standard practice. Your decision to install them aligns with ensuring proper functionality and longevity of the wheel bearing assembly.

The exxe has angular contact bearings from the beginning. These wheel bearings are self aligning and must be compressed by the stub axle and nut. While it is sorta ok to roll very slowly the chassis without the stub axle and nut, the bearing will depend on how much friction put on the bearing by the press fit to hold the bearing together. Far from ideal, but some what ok for sitting still or very, very slow movement of the chassis. There is a very significant risk of bearing damage when loaded this way.

Angular contact bearings are extremely common on FWD cars and more today due to their durability, no need for adjustment, self-compensation for temperature and wear, load capacity for radial & axial forces.. Fiat & Bertone were forward thinking to use angular contact wheel bearings instead of the traditional tapered roller bearings that have a host of problems.

Bernice

Back