Dual Carb Ideas

Work and hobby cross-over

That's cool Steve and I totally understand.

I was having an issue with some of my research kidney transplants. When I checked the literature it turned out that like my experience 1/3 of all kidney transplants were being lost to arterial thrombosis (clot) and this had been accepted for decades as normal.

Well, I can't accept those sort of stats so went about trying to find a solution. When I carefully analysed the existing techniques I identified that blood needed to negotiate an approx. 135 degree bend followed closely by a 45 degree bend in the opposite direction. If you look into blood hydrodynamics you quickly realise that sites of turbulence and eddies cause platelet activation which leads to thrombosis formation, or clot.

I came up with a technique that provides just a single approx. 75 degree bend and fixed the problem. In nearly 2 years of using this technique I've not lost a single kidney to thrombosis.

I presented this at an international transplant conference last year and while there met one of the pioneers of kidney transplant and he said he wished he had thought of my technique! Pretty stinkin cool.

The moral of this story:
Fluid and air flow dynamics are an intricate and VERY important science. They are not to be taken lightly and that applies just as well to our engine build choices.

It may have already been mentioned, but one requirement for fitting DCOEs that I would hesitate over is the effort required to cut away structural elements of the body and build a new box section to provide clearance for the carbs. I think downdrafts are a good option for several reasons.

Cheers,

Rob

I came up with a technique that provides just a single approx. 75 degree bend and fixed the problem. In nearly 2 years of using this technique I've not lost a single kidney to thrombosis.

I presented this at an international transplant conference last year and while there met one of the pioneers of kidney transplant and he said he wished he had thought of my technique! Pretty stinkin cool.

That is a way cooler story than mine Rob... I am suitably impressed. :) Your going to save someone's life with your technique and research... I certainly can't lay claim to anything as cool as that.

SteveC

This silicone two part mix is quite flexible when dry, elongates up to 400% before it will tear, and bounces back to shape. Same silicone is used in dental work and also for making jewelery (lost wax) type moulds. Brand name is "pinkysil" comes from a place called "adelaide moulding and casting supplies"or adelade dental supplies"

I also use another type of silicone, that sets quite a lot harder, and requires the head to be immersed in warm water so I can remove it. The advantage is once set is very firm and will provide a much stiffer / rigid port mould which will be far more suitable to digitize.. that stuff is microwave heated to liquify it, the supplier here in Perth refers to the red stuff as "dildo rubber" :laugh:

I haven't tried using the "dildo rubber" to make a seat to carb mould... as I don't think I would be able to get it out once it's set....

SteveC

Compare the insides of a 40dcoe and a 40dcnf and you will be surprised at how restrictive the dcoe is, especially in the area of the primary diffuser. The 40 dcoe has a full circular ring that reduces the cross section considerably, dcnf's dont. 45's are made differently in the primary diffuser area.

This is one BIG fact that everyone seems to forget about when the dcnf /dcoe argument comes up... the 40dcoe's restrictive primary diffuser.(also known as an 'auxiliary venturi")

So here are some pictures that show what I'm talking about.The dcoe is definitely more restrictive in it's internal design, there are just no if's or but's on this one.

Sure in theory the 40dcoe's will accept a 36mm choke, but the dcoe's primary diffuser is just 37mm ID...so there's not going to be a lot of venturi action happening with just 1mm difference between them, more likely is maybe a 34mm ventri maximum, even that would be tenuous, a 32 would be more effective.

A 40dcnf definitely will accept a venturi with 36mm dimensions and work as it does not have the same restrictive style of primary diffuser.

Sure we all know that only back to back flow test of a dcoe and a dcnf (lets talk 40's) bare mounted to a flow bench will give a definitive answer with a number to compare... but don't wait for me to do it, I already know the answer...the anecdotal "evidence" that dcoes will flow more is a myth.

SteveC

Last edited:
Back