Early instrument cluster in 86x

86X

True Classic
I have always liked the 78 and earlier instrument cluster. Does anyone know if one would fit a 86?

Can't say I've studied the possibility in detail, but I always assumed that the difference between the early and late clusters was just the cosmetic appearance of the masking panel that concealed the speedo and tach dial faces and left the pointer ends viewable. Maybe you could just swap an early lens and masking layer into your late model housing?

Reactions: 86X
I'm pretty sure it does. However there are some differences in wiring, for example the earliest cluster has an oil pressure gauge, and later ones do not. Otherwise pretty much plug and play. (Don't forget that the 4spd cars that came with a 4.41 final drive may have a speedo that may not be compatible too. - Maybe?)

@Dan Sarandrea (Phila) I have not thought of just the face plate, thanks. @MikeHynes I completely forgot about the final drive. Right now my Speedo it 10 MPH fast. I wonder if I changed the oil sender if I would have oil pressure, I would think that may work.

although first I have to change the alternator. On the way to the doctor this morning I looked in my mirror any saw smoke pouring out of my engine bay. My volt meter was pegged at 16v I turned on my high beams and the fan to get it down. Even with that I could not go above 40 without it over charging. lucky for me after the appoint the alternator gave up the ghost and I ran on battery home. So I guess I have an electric X 🤣

I wonder if I changed the oil sender if I would have oil pressure, I would think that may work.
I don't think so. Doesn't your '86 have an idiot light instead of an oil pressure gauge? You could add an oil pressure gauge to your car, but then you need to add an oil pressure sending unit to your engine, and the hole that was used on the 1300 engines isn't located on the 1500 (But, you could add it.)

Yes it does have an idiot light. This sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth. But I do like the older clusters.

When I went from a 1300 to a 1500, I found that the oil pressure sender hole was not drilled out in my block (apparently some are). I used one of those banjo fittings from MWB to double up the idiot light port and installed the oil pressure sender there.

I have always liked the 78 and earlier instrument cluster. Does anyone know if one would fit a 86?
Swapping an earlier instrument cluster into an '86 model might require modifications due to changes in wiring and mounting. Consult with experienced enthusiasts or a mechanic for compatibility and installation advice.

Or use Euro version!.
There is my cluster in my 86

... Yes some mod for volt meter and fan radiator monitor.
IMG_0701.JPG

Back