Electric pump or not

Is there any statistical data on people who got burned trying to put out a fire in their car?

Remember all those movies and TV shows where cars go over a cliff and somehow burst into flames while still in flight?
I will look to see what we have.

Odie

Any old car needs to have a fire extinguisher, old systems/parts, neglected maintenance and so on. It doesn’t take much gasoline leaking to start a fire. The other fire risk is in the electrical system. A wire can chafe over decades and create a direct short which can create a fire.

It’s cheap insurance to try and save your car. I have saved a couple of cars, none of them mine.
Maybe Hussein could design an auto-sprinkler system for the rest us before he departs the community, making use of the engine cover underside somehow :)

ok here we go. It is our policy to tell people to "let it burn" if all people are out of the vehicle. that being said, we USUALLY pay out less in auto and medical when a fire suppression unit is used. Not exactly what I was looking for, but thats all we have for data. Talking to Legal, it is a CYA stance. He has a 48 merc that he has an extinguisher in and has had to use it once, but he also knows to NOT open the hood. but sprayed it through the little pots he has on the sides (see they werent just for looks) With an X, I dont see how opening up the engine cover would really let that much more air in, especially when one doesnt have the rain guard.

Blazecut already makes this. I don't have this system, but I think about it a lot... Here it is in action:

That's so great. Which one of us will be the guinea pig - who's got a doner they want to light on fire...the engine cover would seemingly be the perfect place to install it, unless of course the constant fresh air coming in through the vented slats would make the system not functional?

OK, don't ask how I know this...
A fire extinguisher in an X is a must. Do not put it in the frunk because if the top is in there you will lose precious seconds. I found the best place is in the rear trunk secured in one of the side bins. Opening the engine lid will most certainly feed more air to the fire. Have extinguisher in hand when you do this. Make sure to check the condition (charge) of the extinguisher regularly. If your car has an aftermarket electrical pump feeding Webers your need for an extinguisher approaches necessity. Nothing replaces an inspection of all gas lines at least once a week. Oh, I still have nightmares of burning rubber/plastic....

A fire prevention expert would never design a car motor with a non crossflow motor! Let's see, we will set this up so the carb with pressed in fuel fittings sits right above the exhaust and the alternator, yea that should be perfect. Let the car age for 40 years so every hose and pressed in fitting is suspect.

Annual rubber fuel line replacement and installing threaded fuel line fittings in the carb(s) would also be a good idea. FI is even better because now the fuel supply is pressurized!

I use all Teflon fuel lines and AN fittings, the carb fittings are modified and either screwed in or retained with JB weld... As far a extinguishers go, these are awesome..

Back