Fire extinguisher and mount recommendations

Is there a specific fire extinguisher you prefer to have on hand for your X 1/9?

What is the simplest way to mount a fire extinguisher inside the X 1/9? I know that located between the seats, attached to the bulkhead, is the standard location. Would that require drilling holes into the car? Is there a place to mount a fire extinguisher, while keeping it readily available in the event of a fire, that would not require drilling holes into the interior?

(I've tried doing searches of this forum, as well as broad Google searched, but haven't come up with anything that specifically addresses this question for the X 1/9. Apologies if my searching skills aren't up to snuff)
The best reason to mount one is all the comments you'll get. Either to your face or heard later from friends. So make sure you mount it visibly: Mine's between the front seats. And I have used it to save my car...

I have a halon extinguisher that’s just stuffed behind the passenger seat on the X. My fiberglass cars always had them mounted where you could grab them quickly since fiberglass ignites fast… and I know! 9AEED5E1-0C60-425C-B0F3-3C14701786E0.jpeg

I got a universal under-seat fire extinguisher bracket, only to discover that the rails on the X's seats are not 90 degrees/square. They flare out at an angle, so the bracket wouldn't hook in sufficiently.

Ended up buying some strong magnets and attaching the fire extinguisher's mount inside the trunk, along the flat edge perpendicular to the wheel well. Just to keep it from knocking around back there. Seems as good a place as any.

As a few people said, it's probably a mostly pointless gesture, but since my dad (a very experienced professional mechanic) lost his X of nearly 40 years to an engine fire, having a fire extinguisher handy was something my partner asked me to agree to. Not an unreasonable request.

Last edited:
I have a halon extinguisher that’s just stuffed behind the passenger seat on the X. My fiberglass cars always had them mounted where you could grab them quickly since fiberglass ignites fast… and I know!View attachment 83525

I have mine pretty far out of reach (pass side kick panel) in my 62 fiberglass car.

interior again.jpg

still looking for a good place in my 124 spider, though. Ideas?

interior.jpg

still looking for a good place in my 124 spider, though. Ideas?

View attachment 84855

Depending on how stable you want it, you could use one of these seat slings. It says "It Straps around headrest posts & through seat rails, guaranteeing a sturdy fit and easy access.", but I am unclear how exactly it attaches at the bottom. I didn't do it for the X because the headrest on the seat seemed too sloped to provide a secure mounting point. Looks like your head rests lift up, which would provide a good spot to strap the sling to .

Or if the seat rails are straight, you could use the bracket I referenced (that didn't work for the X, so I imagine that hardware is similar in a Spider)

I came across an item called the "Fire Safety Stick" when I was watching a video on Youtube by JayEmm On Cars channel talking about Ferraris and fire. I think I may go that direction. Anyone have any personal experience with these?

The Fire Safety Stick looks almost identical to the Element device, which seemed like a great idea until I did a little digging on YouTube and the performance seems less than ideal. I don't have experience with them, though. The performance in the videos I saw was uneven enough that I opted for a traditional fire extinguisher.

I have Elements in my cars because:
  • Jay Lenno did a rather in depth positive review - take that as you may.
  • They have a rather long "burn time"
  • They have a longer shelf life than conventional
  • They don't need to be mounted - I just keep them in my tool bag in each car.
I know I won't maintain conventional extinguishers and figure these are better than nothing. Most guys I know that carry extinguishers and have used them, it has been on other people's cars - not their own.

I have not taken the opportunity to discharge one.

Back