Front trunk release on a '74

kareembadr

Daily Driver
I've done my research and learned that the front hood/trunk release *should* be somewhere in/under the glove box on a 1974. I can't seem to find it, though.

Can someone post some photos of its placement so I know what I should be looking for?

Ooo... I know this one!

I don't have photos on me, but open the glove box and the pull is located up and to the left in the space above the box that drops down. :)

Cell phone flashlight helps. Took me a while to find it too.

open the glove box and the pull is located up and to the left in the space above the box that drops down.

Absolutely perfect instructions. Found it on my first try. No wonder I couldn't *see* it. It's tucked up there, just inside the lip of the glove box opening.

I opened the glove box, folder my fingers under the lock, aligning my middle finger with the latch, slid 4 inches to the left, and the lever's right there.

Every X 1/9 issue is going to be this straight-forward to solve, right? :)

Last edited:
I know you have it figured out, but I will add the pictures for future searchers.

IM001903.JPGIM001904.JPGIM001906.JPGIM001898.JPGIM001902.JPG

Absolutely perfect instructions. Found it on my first try. No wonder I couldn't *see* it. It's tucked up there, just inside the lip of the glove box opening.

I opened the glove box, folder my fingers under the lock, aligning my middle finger with the latch, slid 4 inches to the left, and the lever's right there.

Every X 1/9 issue is going to be this straight-forward to solve, right? :)
The reason they put it in there is so you could lock the frunk with the roof off. Not sure how you do that with the later cars.

You can't lock the frunk on the new cars. :(
You can't "Lock" it, but you can move the release out of sight. I am not a big fan of lock's as the crook will just do a LOT more damage getting in then if they can just open it and steal..

I college in the 80's - Philadelphia. Buddy had a beat down '77 Rabbit with a K-Mart stereo. We just slid it in the dash - because we were lazy. He also had a nice CB that his brother passed down - kinda laying on the floor, but wired in. He never locked the car.

Came out one morning and the passenger vent window was smashed, half the dash was busted up and the radio and CB were gone. Found the CB in the neighbors yard two doors down.

I've stopped trying to use logic to outsmart thieves. 🤣

Back