Hemming Article

Kinda surprised Dave LaChance still owns an exxe.. That all began many years ago when Ron Gallo persuaded Dave LaChance to have a look-see at the exxe.. Back then Dave LaChance had a very lowly view of the exxe and considered the exxe just another "fiat"... There are memories of many emails to Dave LaChance regarding his view/attitude about the exxe that were more than confrontational and not nice.. For reasons unknown, at some point Dave LaChance decided to have a deeper and closer look at the exxe.. Eventually, this article happened and was asked to write a side bar about the exxe...

That was many years ago, all that had zilch influence on the market value, market status of the exxe to this day..
The exxe remains one of Gandini's finest works along with the many others and design innovations that are taken for granted today in moto design.

Not to be forgotten, Giampaolo Dallara's involvement with the x1/9..

Bernice

And what Spike17128 does not point out is that this was in an issue with old British sports cars as the theme. So I rolled my eyes and immediately saw Dave's article and was happy again. He has mentioned the X 1/9 many times in the past couple of years including the comment that when the X 1/9 first came out all previous sports cars were relegated to the "old" and the X was the hot new thing, or words to that effect. People are starting to wake up and consider things.

And what Spike17128 does not point out is that this was in an issue with old British sports cars as the theme. So I rolled my eyes and immediately saw Dave's article and was happy again. He has mentioned the X 1/9 many times in the past couple of years including the comment that when the X 1/9 first came out all previous sports cars were relegated to the "old" and the X was the hot new thing, or words to that effect. People are starting to wake up and consider things.
Having owned a late 1973 Triumph GT6 and a 1974 X1/9 I concur with Mr LaChance.

Having owned a late 1973 Triumph GT6 and a 1974 X1/9 I concur with Mr LaChance.

Triumph, Austin, and a long list of other British Leyland two seaters persist to have much higher market value and perceived to be FAR better two seaters than the exxe... to this day.

Why?

Bernice

Triumph, Austin, and a long list of other British Leyland two seaters persist to have much higher market value and perceived to be FAR better two seaters than the exxe... to this day.

Why?

Bernice
Vast amount of parts suppliers, "hit it with a rock" mechanicals. Vastly greater "I had one in high school" factor. So more people want them.

Vast amount of parts suppliers, "hit it with a rock" mechanicals. Vastly greater "I had one in high school" factor. So more people want them.
Yes, and highly supported racing at SCCA... complete with on event support and more..

Much like Detroit "muscle" cars that have become highly valued with large Detroit iron motors in flimsy chassis, drum brakes all around, "isomatic" steering, leaf springs on solid rear axle... But wow, sure went "fast" off the stop light..

Much about marketing and perception,
Bernice

Why?

Bernie
A lot of people think the Ferrari 365 GTB is better looking than a Lamborghini Countach. Also, British 2 seaters evoke thoughts of a more pleasant bygone era to many.

Muscle car value reflects the dreams of many American kids of my generation that weren’t exposed to European automotive culture. As for poor performance in handling and braking, a lot of people did not have access to tracks or the money to use them. Tire cost, brake cost and other track related costs were prohibitive. Also, a lot of America is flat, so twisties were not a thing. Streets with stoplights were free.

Muscle car value reflects the dreams of many American kids of my generation that weren’t exposed to European automotive culture. As for poor performance in handling and braking, a lot of people did not have access to tracks or the money to use them. Tire cost, brake cost and other track related costs were prohibitive. Also, a lot of America is flat, so twisties were not a thing. Streets with stoplights were free.
Or how drag racing became an American event.. Stop Light Grand Prix.. or how "performance" was judged by moto folks.

As previously mentioned endless times in the past, the most easy to access aspect of performance is straight line acceleration. Does not take much to make it go via accelerator pedal. Unwinding a narrow twisty back road is a whole different thing.

Roads also made a significant influence on how motos from different nationals were designed/built. UK had plenty of twisty, narrow, back roads that were not the smoothest. This pressed moto designers to design their home market motos a specific way. France has plenty of cobble stone and not so smooth roads making the need for chassis/suspensions that could properly deal with them. Example being the Citroen 2CV and others. Germany was known for their speed unlimited Autobahn which valued high top speed travel... and so on...

Taxes on vintage Dino juice consumption also figured into this. Italy had really high taxes on moto displacement over 1600cc.. which resulted in nee low-lira uber performance motors that was partly driven by how Italians wanna drive. US of A back then had low cost and widely available vintage Dino juice and the idea of more is best.. resulted in more go by bigger Detroit iron motos with the most rudimentary designs.. As always cost and all those economic factors figures into this.

Bernice

And if I remember correctly the Fiat 850 was low enough displacement to avoid US emissions regulation for a while. The automotive landscape is a strange place when you look at the details.

Back