How many of us watched the world change on 02/09/64?

tvmaster

True Classic
We did, along with another 80 million people, 60-years ago last night. No matter your viewpoint, the world changed that night, forever. I'm so glad we were there. Were you?

Last edited:
My folks liked to watch Ed's show, so I probably saw it.
The local college radio station did a special set yesterday on some of the real early recordings of the group that eventually became The Beatles. I was surprised to hear that their very first paying gig was a lunchtime show, and they got paid 5 pounds.

My mother's first cousin was the head of photography for Time-Life magazine in NYC at the time. He was the one that directed the shoot for the magazine, and he gave my mother an evelope with about 20 VERY large black and white prints (seemed like they were 30" x 20" or thereabouts) taken during the show. She placed the photos in a closet at her father's house, and when my grandfather sold the house the envelope was never seen again. I was 8 years old in '64. I remember watching the show, and looking at the photos, but at that age it wasen't exactly a life changing event.

Not only did I watch it, but years later I discovered that I had a Paul McCartney autograph from the event stuck in a box of old papers in my basement.

The story is that my ex-wife and I went to school with a girl whose father was the stage manager for the Ed Sullivan show. He had managed to get Paul to write out a bunch of autographs before they performed knowing that his daughter and her friends would really cherish something like that. My ex, being a good friend of the daughter got one of the autographs. This happened a few years before my ex and I started going out but the story I got was that the ex younger sister took possesion of the autograph causing a big comotion which ended by my ex mother in law taking the autograph to end the fighting. Many decades later, I still recall them still arguing about who had the autograph as no one knew where it was.

Shortly before COVID, my daughter was visiting and I mentioned that I found this old box of what appeared to be my ex's junk and that she might want to go through it and see if there was anything her mom wanted before we tossed the contents. My daughter was going through what mostly turned out to be trash and found an envelope. She opened it up and the Paul McCartney autograph was inside!

Last edited:
My mother's first cousin was the head of photography for Time-Life magazine in NYC at the time. He was the one that directed the shoot for the magazine, and he gave my mother an evelope with about 20 VERY large black and white prints (seemed like they were 30" x 20" or thereabouts) taken during the show. She placed the photos in a closet at her father's house, and when my grandfather sold the house the envelope was never seen again. I was 8 years old in '64. I remember watching the show, and looking at the photos, but at that age it wasen't exactly a life changing event.
That's both awesome, and such a loss - those photos today, framed, would make ANY room look better :)

The day the world changed is July 21 1969 :)
nah. That was cool, but it didn't 'invent' the teenager, or change art, or challenge Vietnam, or Brian Wilson, The Stones, Bowie, feminism, Carnaby St., etc. Everything that flowed downhill from the Sullivan performance is still causing waves today. And we know that performance happened.
Some people still don't believe 07/21/69 ever did (lol, I'm not one of them, but our plumber is)

Not only did I watch it, but years later I discovered that I had a Paul McCartney autograph from the event stuck in a box of old papers in my basement.

The story is that my ex-wife and I went to school with a girl whose father was the stage manager for the Ed Sullivan show. He had managed to get Paul to write out a bunch of autographs before they performed knowing that his daughter and her friends would really cherish something like that. My ex, being a good friend of the daughter got one of the autographs. This happened a few years before my ex and I started going out but the story I got was that the ex younger sister took possesion of the autograph causing a big comotion which ended by my ex mother in law taking the autograph to end the fighting. Many decades later, I still recall them still arguing about who had the autograph as no one knew where it was.

Shortly before COVID, my daughter was visiting and I mentioned that I found this old box of what appeared to be my ex's junk and that she might want to go through it and see if there was anything her mom wanted before we tossed the contents. My daughter was going through what mostly turned out to be trash and found an envelope. She opened it up and the Paul McCartney autograph was inside!
Yeah baby, yeah! Where is it now?

challenge Vietnam
what now? Very mildly.... Remember, the Beatles were very middle of the road. Pro-peace undoubtedly, but challenge? Not so much. As for those other artists, most of their influences were proper music, blues :) Beatles main musical influence was/is on middle of the road pop.

what now? Very mildly.... Remember, the Beatles were very middle of the road. Pro-peace undoubtedly, but challenge? Not so much. As for those other artists, most of their influences were proper music, blues :) Beatles main musical influence was/is on middle of the road pop.
I forgot U.S. Civil Rights movement, signed into law later in ‘64. What the Beatles did that night was empower youth to start shouting. To that point, every boy wore a tie, and every girl a skirt in school photos. Blackbird singing in the dead of night…
The space race was U.S. vs. Russia. We got some nice rocks. And microwaves.
The Beatles rose up the youth of the whole world, and they started talking back. It wasn’t just their music, regardless of genre, it’s that they were the catalyst for the uprising. Even Elvis couldn’t do that…

Back