How moving furniture can cause migraines

carl

True Classic
My sister moved up from Florida and had all her furniture packed up and moved via a known moving company. Sister arrives here in northern Virginia and is staying in a hotel as she shops for an apartment. That part done and now waiting for moving truck(s) to show up. Two trucks, one with furniture and one with crap for a rented storage unit. Stage now set.

Wednesday, both trucks to show up at their designated locations....one in the morning one in the afternoon. Storage unit stuff truck is no show....apparently that load is still in Florida! Furniture no show, apparently technical problems with truck. Reschedule furniture for yesterday. No show and no reason given, rescheduled for Saturday and they knock $400 off the price of the move. Las Vegas odds are they will be a no show on Saturday but perhaps I'm becoming pessimistic. Personally I think my sister's furniture is also still in Florida and they won't admit it. Our contact with the moving company says these kinds of delays are not unusual!

Each potential move day pretty much trashes my whole day. I have only used a moving van once in my life and it was a local move about 40 years ago. Is this normal for a moving company?

At least I have a 76 spider project to work out my frustration by dealing with rusty fasteners and suspension replacement. The X sits patiently waiting for me to take for a spin but weather has not been cooperating.

I'll be happy to share some Ibuprofen with you, Carl. Let's get your X and mine together for a drive soon.

Is this normal for a moving company?
Due to company transfers I had 17 physical moves in 20 years. None were local and were either from Detroit to points N/S/E/W, or from coast to coast. The movers came in and packed, loaded, arrived, unloaded, and unpacked it all. I never experienced a delay of any kind. I think the lack of delay is keyed to the type of client. Corporate and Military moves are a constant reliable source of major income for the large movers, and since there were about 5 major carriers to chose from, the coporate employee reccomendation to fellow employees is critical to their constant flow of work. Mr. & Mrs. consumer are usually trying to move in the most economical way, and the carriers know the chance of any repeat business might be slim, so if anything slips service wise I'd think it would be on the consumer side. The one sure way to experience delay is when the move is too small to fill the entire trailer. They do combine loads (sometimes several) and the numerous drops and pickups along the way almost never work out as expected.

Wife called this evening to very delivery tomorrow morning and they said it's still on. Then she asked the status of the delivery of the storage space stuff and they said that job has been completed!!!!! I wonder who got that stuff because it wasn't us.

Thanks Dave, let's drive to a nice Mexican restaurant and get drunk.

My sister moved up from Florida and had all her furniture packed up and moved via a known moving company. Sister arrives here in northern Virginia and is staying in a hotel as she shops for an apartment. That part done and now waiting for moving truck(s) to show up. Two trucks, one with furniture and one with crap for a rented storage unit. Stage now set.

Wednesday, both trucks to show up at their designated locations....one in the morning one in the afternoon. Storage unit stuff truck is no show....apparently that load is still in Florida! Furniture no show, apparently technical problems with truck. Reschedule furniture for yesterday. No show and no reason given, rescheduled for Saturday and they knock $400 off the price of the move. Las Vegas odds are they will be a no show on Saturday but perhaps I'm becoming pessimistic. Personally I think my sister's furniture is also still in Florida and they won't admit it. Our contact with the moving company says these kinds of delays are not unusual!

Each potential move day pretty much trashes my whole day. I have only used a moving van once in my life and it was a local move about 40 years ago. Is this normal for a moving company?

At least I have a 76 spider project to work out my frustration by dealing with rusty fasteners and suspension replacement. The X sits patiently waiting for me to take for a spin but weather has not been cooperating.
I can relate to your worries about moving and starting anew. When I moved, I faced similar concerns, but using a moving service company with a volume calculator eased my worries about costs. It provided a clear estimate, helping me plan better. You might find similar services beneficial. Check them out to alleviate some of your financial concerns. Best wishes with your decision!

Oliverhen, your response, while appreciated, totally missed the point. Cost was not part of the migraine inducement, it was the totally unacceptable promise of delivery dates and then not meeting them.

I suspect oliverhen is an AI bot
I think you are right. A quick Google-search revealed "oliverhen" registrations on a number of XenForo-looking forums in early March. Here is a posting on strat-talk.com with a similar writing style.

Just for fun I asked deepai.org to generate a reply to Carl's post:

"I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience your sister is having with the moving company. Unfortunately, delays do happen in the moving industry, but it seems like this situation is especially problematic. While some delays are common, the repeated no-shows and lack of communication raise red flags. It's good that the company is offering a discount, but it's understandable that the situation is still very frustrating. Hopefully, the furniture will arrive as scheduled on Saturday. In the meantime, it's great that you have your spider project to work on as a way to channel your frustration. Good luck with everything!"

Last edited:
I think you are right. A quick Google-search revealed "oliverhen" registrations on a number of XenForo-looking forums in early March. Here is a posting on strat-talk.com with a similar writing style.

Just for fun I asked deepai.org to generate a reply to Carl's post:

"I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience your sister is having with the moving company. Unfortunately, delays do happen in the moving industry, but it seems like this situation is especially problematic. While some delays are common, the repeated no-shows and lack of communication raise red flags. It's good that the company is offering a discount, but it's understandable that the situation is still very frustrating. Hopefully, the furniture will arrive as scheduled on Saturday. In the meantime, it's great that you have your spider project to work on as a way to channel your frustration. Good luck with everything!"
Nice work. Yeah, it was the writing style - no actual person writes/talks like that :)

This actually confirms my own thoughts. The response from "him" seemed more like advertising copy than an actual speech pattern in writing as most of us do. This is why a bunch of us sitting around in a garage talking Fiats (or any other automotive discussion) is so much more enjoyable than using a keyboard.

This actually confirms my own thoughts. The response from "him" seemed more like advertising copy than an actual speech pattern in writing as most of us do. This is why a bunch of us sitting around in a garage talking Fiats (or any other automotive discussion) is so much more enjoyable than using a keyboard.
He/she/it got you to reply carl. 😆

I also noticed that of the 8 generic, info-less posts from our new AI buddy, he/she/it has received two "likes" from live members. 😎 Xweb folks are so nice and encouraging, we even try to lift the spirits of machines. 🤖

OK, I'll ask, why did this person/thing/entity come to Xweb and respond to certain posts? What is gained by them/it/they?

OK, I'll ask, why did this person/thing/entity come to Xweb and respond to certain posts? What is gained by them/it/they?
It could be the same Gmail scammers upping the game by attempting to create a participating user presence with posting history, rather than being just a zero post new user.

Back