Leaky fuel line.

dkshores

Low Mileage
My 85 X 1/9 with fuel injection has a leaking fuel line. I can buy replacement lines, but Im not sure how to install them. Once I remove the pld ones maybe it will become more clear, but there are no clamps connecting the line together? So how do I replace the factory fuel lines with new ones?

Which lines are you referring to?

Otiker clamps work well on the lines from the pump to the rail & injectors

X19allisonHeader0009.jpg

Well all of them really. It is factory right now. So I'm guessing if I pull the intake I can remove the rubber parts of the hose an clamp them back onto the rail? Right now it is leaking at the joint on the left with the hose that leaves you pic.

If one leaks, the rest are sure to follow. It is very possible the hoses are original from when this exxe was first assembled.

Suggest spending the time and effort to remove and replace ALL the hoses. Consider for a moment what could happen if a fuel line failed then sprayed fuel under 35-45 psi on to a hot engine... fire is highly likely which can be really, really bad.

Bernice

Well all of them really. It is factory right now. So I'm guessing if I pull the intake I can remove the rubber parts of the hose an clamp them back onto the rail? Right now it is leaking at the joint on the left with the hose that leaves you pic.

Yes they are all original. I bought it new a.d it is all factory. Yes I intend to replace all of them. Midwest Bayless here I. Columbus has a kit, but before I break it down I wa.ted to confirm the kit will work and the absence of clamps on the factory install is normal and want cause issues in using the kit.

I believe the factory set up "press fit" and worked (obviously) but the exact correct ID fuel line is a little hard to source "close enough" isn't,
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...Detail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=250929135
I used this kit although back when I bought it I think it was the 7.9mm (I could be remembering that wrong) and thus I clamped (with the right clamps) all the connections. I occasionally get seepage even so! This kit seems expensive but for all the lines cut to length it isn't too bad.

You posted while I was typing! I'll leave it anyway.

Or build your own, not sure how many feet you'd need, seems like 6 would do, then, well this is cheaper, you have to cut it carefully though I remember Bernice saying
http://www.germanautoparts.com/Hardware/Hose/Fuel

The factory uses barbed fittings with tight I.D. hoses, 7.5mm and a stop collar that both provides a push-stop when installing and an anti-spread feature as well. Removal is a careful process of cutting not all the way through, and twisting and pulling with pliers. The not all the way through cutting is because if you nick the edge of a barb, you can cause a leak.

Commonly available 5/16" I.D. fuel injection hose works, it is 7.9mm I.D. which I have used on many L-Jet applications without problems. Other folks get nervous and use clamps instead. The main thing is to make sure the fit is leak-free, and use 200 psi hose, Gates makes a good universal fuel hose. And, if you use clamps, use F.I. fitting clamps not the serrated hose clamps that will bite into the hose.

Good luck. Best to address this in one fell swoop. All of the post-pump fuel hose is the 7.5mm I.D. version, the pre-pump hose from the tank, which is equally prone to leaking but not under tremendous pressure, is 12mm I.D.

Back