Look what I saw today.....

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Well...I was wandering through my local wreckers today...and was shocked to see this odd yellow car...and then beside it another one the same in blue. :oops:

I have certainly never before seen one in person...but for some reason I knew was it was right away. Quite a rare car...I dont think they were ever sold here....

But certainly a piece of automotive history.

Both seemed quite complete.....the blue one even seemed to be certainly good enough to be resurrected....but surely a project only for the very brave !!!

It was interesting to look under the hood...all seemed original and complete.

If any of you know someone who has one...could at least be a great source of spares.

Bonus points to the first person to ID them.......and what was significant about them....

20230909_094132 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Well...I was wondering through my local wreckers today...and was shocked to see this odd yellow car...and then beside it another one the same in blue. :oops:

I have certainly never before seen one in person...but for some reason I knew was it was right away. Quite a rare car...I dont think they were ever sold here....

Both seemed quite complete.....the blue one even seemed to be certainly good enough to be resurrected....but surely a project only for the very brave !!!

It was interesting to look under the hood...al seemed original and complete.

If any of you know someone who has one...could at least be a great source of spares.

Bonus points to the first person to ID them.......and what was significant about them....

View attachment 77152
NSU Wankel engine

Very Cool. Those were an oddity when I was a teen in England (mid -late '70's). Haven't seen one since. Pretty sure that's where Mazda got their rotary idea from, since NSU came first.

Supposedly "very difficult" to get parts for one of these. Here's a clip of just one of the "uncut series" videos featuring an NSU that RetroPower did some work on. The owner did most of the restoration himself. This was originally brought in just for body work and paint. They subsequently did quite a bit more than that. A very quirky but innovative car.

Well...I was wandering through my local wreckers today...and was shocked to see this odd yellow car...and then beside it another one the same in blue. :oops:

It was interesting to look under the hood...all seemed original and complete.

View attachment 77152
Somebody must have sold them in Canada, because when I was a youngster, probably early 70's, the people across the street from us had a grown son who visited them regularly in his red NSU Ro80. I remember it because it was the only one that I had seen, and because it used to leave a trail of blue smoke behind it when it was moving.

To my knowledge it was the only transversely mounted rotary engine in a car.

The coefficient of drag was also incredibly low for the time.

Actually....NO.....the engine was not transverse. Although indeed it was front wheel drive.....the engine was mounted front-to-back...Audi or Subaru style. See the pic below I took of one of the Ro80s.

20230909_094144_HDR.jpg

It is a 2 rotor Wankel engine mounted ahead of the tranny. Fed by two sidedraft carbs.

The coefficient of drag was also incredibly low for the time.

Yes...they say it was. Also incredibly advanced for it's time. The Wankel engine, front wheel drive, fully independent strut suspension, inboard disc brakes (you can see the caliper and the brake rotor in the above pic ), semi-automatic transmission. Pretty heady stuff for 1967 !! Kinda made the BMWs and Mercedes of the era look almost prehistoric.....

A pretty bold move for NSU. But sadly......engine issues - mostly apex seals - led to massive warranty claims that drove NSU into bankruptcy and a takeover by Audi......

Pretty sad to see these two examples in a scrapyard. I reckon rare enough - and significant enough - they should be in a museum !!

The instrument cluster of one of them was sitting there loose on the passenger seat. a beautiful full cluster of VDO intruments. I was gonna grab it just as a souvenir oddity....but just couldn't......it didn't feel right......

Last edited:

While the NSU Ro80 engine was NOT transverse...as seen above......I kinda recall there WAS indeed a production car with a transverse Wankel engine. Full marks to anyone who can name it without googling for the answer.....:oops:

Seems to me Citroen had a Wankel engine car. Bi rotor or something like that name.
Your useless trivia for the day.......:)

Yes they did. Two models actually - first a single rotor Wankel engine mounted longitudinally in an Ami-type car. And then - a 2 rotor Wankel mounted in a GS series - yup called a GS Birotor. Although all the GS series cars had a longitudinal flat 4 - like a 2wd Subaru - which should have easily allowed room for a Wankel engine placement like the Ro80 above.......noooo.....they completely re-configured everything to a transverse layout. Which meant even an all-new tranny ( semi-automatic to boot ). The development costs must have been huge.....

I guess Citroen must have considered it the way of the future. But alas....it didn't turn out that way......if 15 mpg fuel economy wasn't bad enough...reliability was horrible. Same type of housing plating and apex seals soon surfaced. Warranty costs were huge and Citroen pulled the plug after just under 1000 of them were sold. Citroen attempted to buy them all back and crush them to save face. For those few who refused to sell them back....so the story goes...Citroen yanked the type approval ( which made them almost impossible to register for the road ) and refused to sell ANY spare parts.......thus very few survive today....

Meanwhile......up north in Russia.......Lada were working away on their own Wankel engine program. In some ways it seemed ideal. Being Russians...they likely didn't bother with those pesky licensing and patent fees due to Dr. Wankel. And unlike a turbo or high performance piston engine...a Wankel would run happily on the poor quality low octane Russian gasoline.

They first produced a single rotor Wankel engine for the RWD 124 sedan copy they were making. But not much quicker than the existing piston engined version. So then...they produced a 2 rotor version with about 110-120 hp or so. They made a bunch of those...mostly for the KGB as ideal chase vehicles !! But if you were well enough connected.....you could be the king of the Russian roads in what looked like a normal Lada sedan.....Engine life was said to be also quite poor....

By the later 80's, Lada finally transitioned to a modern front wheel drive hatchback, known mostly as the Samara. VW Golf sized. Said to be mostly a clean sheet Russian design - no involvement from Fiat this time - but it is said that Porsche had a hand in the design. A rather conventional front wheel drive hatch with SOHC piston engines of 1100 to 1500 cc.

But.......little known is they also DID produce a Samara variant with a two rotor Wankel engine. Yes, still front wheel drive with a transverse engine driving a 5 speed tranny. Quite light and with 140 hp it would just smoke the fastest Golf GTI of the era........

Now that folks would perhaps be a great donor drivetrain for swapping into an X1/9. Wankels are quite light and compact. Smooth and rev to the moon. Still likely some Fiat DNA in there, as Samaras still had a 4 on 98mm bolt pattern for example....

to my knowledge, Mazda never made a transverse engined Wankel....but I could be wrong. But above is at least two transversed engined Wankels. Let us know if there are any more......

Your useless trivia for the day.......:)

Yes they did. Two models actually - first a single rotor Wankel engine mounted longitudinally in an Ami-type car. And then - a 2 rotor Wankel mounted in a GS series - yup called a GS Birotor. Although all the GS series cars had a longitudinal flat 4 - like a 2wd Subaru - which should have easily allowed room for a Wankel engine placement like the Ro80 above.......noooo.....they completely re-configured everything to a transverse layout. Which meant even an all-new tranny ( semi-automatic to boot ). The development costs must have been huge.....

I guess Citroen must have considered it the way of the future. But alas....it didn't turn out that way......if 15 mpg fuel economy wasn't bad enough...reliability was horrible. Same type of housing plating and apex seals soon surfaced. Warranty costs were huge and Citroen pulled the plug after just under 1000 of them were sold. Citroen attempted to buy them all back and crush them to save face. For those few who refused to sell them back....so the story goes...Citroen yanked the type approval ( which made them almost impossible to register for the road ) and refused to sell ANY spare parts.......thus very few survive today....

Meanwhile......up north in Russia.......Lada were working away on their own Wankel engine program. In some ways it seemed ideal. Being Russians...they likely didn't bother with those pesky licensing and patent fees due to Dr. Wankel. And unlike a turbo or high performance piston engine...a Wankel would run happily on the poor quality low octane Russian gasoline.

They first produced a single rotor Wankel engine for the RWD 124 sedan copy they were making. But not much quicker than the existing piston engined version. So then...they produced a 2 rotor version with about 110-120 hp or so. They made a bunch of those...mostly for the KGB as ideal chase vehicles !! But if you were well enough connected.....you could be the king of the Russian roads in what looked like a normal Lada sedan.....Engine life was said to be also quite poor....

By the later 80's, Lada finally transitioned to a modern front wheel drive hatchback, known mostly as the Samara. VW Golf sized. Said to be mostly a clean sheet Russian design - no involvement from Fiat this time - but it is said that Porsche had a hand in the design. A rather conventional front wheel drive hatch with SOHC piston engines of 1100 to 1500 cc.

But.......little known is they also DID produce a Samara variant with a two rotor Wankel engine. Yes, still front wheel drive with a transverse engine driving a 5 speed tranny. Quite light and with 140 hp it would just smoke the fastest Golf GTI of the era........

Now that folks would perhaps be a great donor drivetrain for swapping into an X1/9. Wankels are quite light and compact. Smooth and rev to the moon. Still likely some Fiat DNA in there, as Samaras still had a 4 on 98mm bolt pattern for example....

to my knowledge, Mazda never made a transverse engined Wankel....but I could be wrong. But above is at least two transversed engined Wankels. Let us know if there are any more......
The issue with Wankels in transverse applications is where the intake and exhaust exit.

A few Wankel Xs have been created, as I recall one had the engine and transmission off axis to get the heat off the right axle which poses another problem for the CVs.

A famous, for here, X race car uses an inline Wankel with ( formerly Porsche) Hewland transaxle to make it all work.

Back