No Title, No VIN......... Not mine..

Don't make me go look up "chapter & verse" Charlie...

As I thought some more about this I don't know of one single issue where there wasn't a much LATER engine installed, or at least one modified for more power... But I also never heard of anyone going to a "referee" to get pre-approval to install anything in a '75 or prior.

Like most of the laws recently... they are apparently too costly to enforce...

No control

My understanding about later engines in early cars is that you only have to worry about the later engine smog controls being intact if you install them on 76 or later cars. You can put a stripped late model Honda motor in a 75 or 74 Fiat in California and be completely legal.

Not in California

Austin here is a link to the California BAR for engine swaps. Note that there is no exemption for 75 and older cars, in fact their example was a 67 Camero. Engine swaps are only legal if the smog equipment for the newer engine is installed and working. It is also still illegal to tamper with the smog equipment even on pre 75 vehicles in California even though they do not require a smog check.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

Charlie

Don't see it.

Charlie, I hate to be a dummy, but I went to the link and still can't find what you are talking about in your message. Do you have a more specific link?

Back