Recommended battery?

RobM

True Classic
What size, brand, model battery do you recommend for the Scorpion? After 9 years, it's time to replace mine. Thanks.

Thanks for the recommendations. Definitely BCI 58. Now it's down to how much I want to spend. : \

I used to think Li Ion batteries were prohibitory expensive. But in the last couple of years wet flooded batteries have increased so much they are closer in price now. Especially the AGM variants of lead-acid; now they are about the same as Li Ion. The climate where I'm living is extremely harsh on batteries. So I think Li Ion would also have a notably longer life, making them even more cost effective.

Hopefully this isn't getting too far off topic. But here's a thought I'm considering regarding battery choice. If you are like me and own multiple vintage hobby cars that do not get driven on a regular basis, the batteries tend to go bad even if kept on maintainers. And with the price of replacement batteries now, I've decided to keep only one battery on hand for all of those cars. I store it in the garage on a maintainer and put it in whatever car I decide to take for a joy ride. The problem is finding a battery size and configuration that is suitable for all of the cars. However given the very small footprint of a Li Ion battery this would no be a problem as you would have lots of room to work with. Simply adapt each car's battery tray and cables to hold it in whatever position will work for that car. Plus the increased output capacity of a Li Ion will make it sufficient for all vehicles. At least that's the thought process so far.

AGM batteries have a slightly higher cell voltage than a standard lead acid. That can lead to charging issues if what is charging an AGM is not set to a high enough voltage. I don't think that is often an issue when charging from an alternator as those are often set up with a fair amount of margin. However, I have run into issues with battery chargers designed for lead acid batteries that were a few tenths of a volt too low to adequately charge an AGM.

What size, brand, model battery do you recommend for the Scorpion? After 9 years, it's time to replace mine. Thanks.
Comment. 4-5 years battery life is about as far as you should go. As battery ages over 5 years, the alternator spends a lot of time at full charge. Shortens Alt life. Sealed top batteries are best. The old acid battery will discharge lots of gases to ruin paint and cable ends. Vented batteries are my second choice. Last battery I bought was for wife's 2016 Mazda 3 at O'Rielly's, sealed top, $150. If the old battery fits, take it in as a core and replace with like size.

Comment. 4-5 years battery life is about as far as you should go. As battery ages over 5 years, the alternator spends a lot of time at full charge. Shortens Alt life. Sealed top batteries are best. The old acid battery will discharge lots of gases to ruin paint and cable ends. Vented batteries are my second choice. Last battery I bought was for wife's 2016 Mazda 3 at O'Rielly's, sealed top, $150. If the old battery fits, take it in as a core and replace with like size.
Agreed. :)

Due to the harsh climate here (extreme heat) I typically get a maximum of 3 years out of a top quality battery, less for inferior ones. And the prices for wet flooded batteries around here are over $200 (depending on the specific size, etc)....closer to $250 in most cases. Paying that every two to three years gets costly when you multiply it for multiple vehicles. However I realize my situation is not necessarily the same as for most. Although those who live in very cold climates are likely to have similar experiences. As a result, with the relatively short life of batteries here, I really don't try to preventatively replace them as you suggest (but I completely agree with you about it). This was what brought up the thought of switching to Li Ion, but unless I try it I really can't say how much better it would be for my circumstance. ;)

Back