stock noseband repair

mikeroten

True Classic
so the stock noseband on my now running scorpion is broken. the side bracket is broken clean off at the 90 degree bend. I have the broken off part as well as the band and it looks like they could be bonded together pretty easily.

so the question is, has anyone dealt with this before?
any recommendations on adhesives?
has anyone done anything to reinforce theirs so it wont break again?

OR

does anyone have an unbroken one for sale?

3M panel bond is my go-to for stuff like that. Unfortunately it's about $80 a tube, and technically you need a 3M gun to dispense the stuff. In reality, you can just get the tube (twin tubes actually) and squeeze some out and mix and apply it manually. It will not let you down, I used it extensively for all the fiberglass panels on my 037 where I had to join fiberglass to metal. But it works for plastic-to-plastic applications also.

awesome. thanks for that. looks like with this goo I can not only glue back together the break, but bond a formed piece of sheet metal behind it for reinforcement. I believe this is the path I will take.

by the way @Pete Whitstone I've been following your blog on your build -- your car is amazing and I love the engine choice. I always admired the SHO engine and wondered why Ford didn't put it into something a bit more saucy than a Taurus.

I always admired the SHO engine and wondered why Ford didn't put it into something a bit more saucy than a Taurus.

Thanks Mike. The way I heard it, the reason they asked Yamaha to design the engine is that they were planning a mid-engine Corvette fighter and that was to be the engine. The car got axed, but the motors were already in production so they had to find something to do with them. Stuffing them in a boring sedan is what they chose.

I've never seen sketches or anything of the mid-engine car they were proposing. If anyone has more/better info on this subject I'd love to hear it.

by the way @Pete Whitstone I've been following your blog on your build -- your car is amazing and I love the engine choice. I always admired the SHO engine and wondered why Ford didn't put it into something a bit more saucy than a Taurus.
Thanks, Mike. Never noticed the link in Pete's signature,before. His car is beautiful, and the blog documents some really impressive work.

Thanks, Mike. Never noticed the link in Pete's signature,before. His car is beautiful, and the blog documents some really impressive work.

Thanks Tom. One of these days I will get past my daily driver pickup truck woes and get back to work on this thing. In my free time I'm trying to learn about tuning FI vehicles, specifically with Ford EEC-V and Tweecer. After spending a decade building it, it would be nice to actually drive it. Sigh. Someday soon.

so I had a friend who is an engineer and materials science kind of guy take a look at the break, he said that the plastic is essentially styrene (not ABS or anything fancy like that) and he suggested that since the break is so clean that I use model airplane glue for the initial bond then use the panel bond to glue a thin metal reinforcement behind the joint. so, I dug out the model airplane glue and set it all up - feels like a solid bond, and the panel glue arrives tomorrow. it'll be nice to get this fixed up.

That black plastic - I always thought was ABS too. Testors styrene model
cement (glue/adhesive) can work miracles when used properly.

by the way @Pete Whitstone if i don't have the special 3M pistol for this 2 part adhesive, what do you recommend? can I just jam some out of each side in equal increments and swizzle it up like epoxy? should i drop the bucks for the gun?

by the way @Pete Whitstone if i don't have the special 3M pistol for this 2 part adhesive, what do you recommend? can I just jam some out of each side in equal increments and swizzle it up like epoxy? should i drop the bucks for the gun?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Depress each side by the same amount to squeeze different amounts of materials out (tubes are different sizes and mix ratio is not 1:1).

If you want I can loan you my gun, it would probably fit in a mid-sized flat rate USPS box. But even at that low rate, with shipping both ways you are halfway to the cost of a gun.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Depress each side by the same amount to squeeze different amounts of materials out (tubes are different sizes and mix ratio is not 1:1).

If you want I can loan you my gun, it would probably fit in a mid-sized flat rate USPS box. But even at that low rate, with shipping both ways you are halfway to the cost of a gun.
I nutted up and bought the gun. Just under $50 on amazon. I figure for a $110 investment to repair basically an irreplaceable part I'm getting off cheap. I'm going to finish the job up this week.

Back