No Title, No VIN......... Not mine..

No title and no vin? How can it have NO vin? It has to have at least a stamp on the chassis, I think in the front boot right?

about $1350 too much...

The VIN is located in 4 places...

The most difficult is found behind the battery on the "firewall", If cut out carefully, it can be sold along with the other three which are easily removed.

This would then convert ANY X1/9 to a '75 or earlier car for a CA Smog Test exemption... so I hear...

This is just the opposite of taking a '74 or '75 exempt car and installing a late model engine, or any engine that you want. One way is illegal though, I just can't recall which is which...

poor girl

looking at the pictures, the front bumper is 76 to 78 hence the curved ends on the bumper. the rear is 75, the only year that had the ends between the rails only. the door "cards" are off an 83-84. and it looks like seats of the 80's era with the cloth on the side bolster. the PO must have had access to parts (parts guy? mechanic?) and did a little upgrades here and there.
I would save her, but it's getting cold sleeping in the garage as it is.
and the next step for me would be the backyard in a forty year old sleeping bag on the back lawn surrounded by dog poop!!
.........I guess I could ask.......:excited:
mikemo

NO SLOW DOWN LIGHT

If memory serves me right there was a slow down light next to the headlight switch to warn of the catalytic converter over heating. They came out on the 75 and later early model cars with the converters. I don't see one on this dash which leads me to believe that this is a 74 model.

Charlie

year??

yea, but the 74 x didn't have bumper shocks. and to put later model bumpers on would be a task in itself. I installed a later one piece bumper on my first 74, and it was a PITA!! took hood hinges and used them to hold the bumper on after slotting the body and re drilling the brackets to put the bumper where I wanted it.
so it has to be a 75 or later to have those bumpers on her. could be wrong, but, to put those bumpers on would be a herculean endeavor.
mikemo

The most difficult is found behind the battery on the "firewall", If cut out carefully, it can be sold along with the other three which are easily removed.

This would then convert ANY X1/9 to a '75 or earlier car for a CA Smog Test exemption... so I hear...

This is just the opposite of taking a '74 or '75 exempt car and installing a late model engine, or any engine that you want. One way is illegal though, I just can't recall which is which...
Cutting out the VIN's and moving them to another chassis is a felony in all 50 states if I am correct.

Changing the enine/drivetrain or almost everything else is legal almost everywhere, but I'm sure it violates a California law in some way.

Holes for 74 Bumpers

Based on the location of those side reflectors, it looks like it has the holes on the front and rear sides of the car for 1974 bumpers.

ONE MORE THING

It doesn't have the hood protector studs welded into the body to protect the passengers from the hood coming into the cabin in case of a front end crash. Those were added in 1975 and the 74's didn't have them. Looks like this is a modified 74.

Charlie

mystery fiat

they didn't have the hood retaining plates till 79. first year they did. and if you look at the bumpers on your cars, you can see the difference in the opening where the "slots" for a 74 and the big square "holes" for the shocks differ. no way would someone do that. and the lime green was only available from 74 to 76, and the slow down light as far as I can tell from the shop manual, the light was on the dash on the right of the steering wheel parallel to the headlight switch.
and as far as switching vin's...OH BEHAVE BABY.(sorry Austin powers):excited:
I tried to contact the sender and made an offer and pay for delivery, no response.
really leaning towards a late 76.
mikemo

Hmmm.....

Hmmm.....I really think it is - or at least was - a '74

My screen is kinda small, and some of the pics not too good - but note:

Rear chrome trim around taillights
Exhaust exits on left side
Low engine lid
In rear trunk you can see at least 2 bolts that held bumper bracket in ('75 and later had only 1 bolt for bumper shock)
'74-'75 front turn signals
No pins for hood catch
Appears to have solid rear valance (no grill there)
Appears ( ?) to have choke beside handbrake
Sure looks like '74 only front bumper mounts in headlight cavity

These are all '74 only features. Sure, some of them (like engine lid) COULD have been changed, BUT some (like the bumper mounts) would be very difficult - and thus unlikely - to have been changed.

So....I reckon for sure it is - or at least was - a desirable lime green '74. Yeah, it looks pretty sad, BUT at least I'm not seeing a lot of rust. Well at least by Canadian standards LOL. You guys in California are so lucky to have lots of old and neglected but solid X1/9s floating around. Up here this would be a creampuff.......

Oh yeah....

....and appears to have the '74 instrument cluster....

And...look in the background of some of the pics.

In pic 1....I spy a late 60s or early 70s ? Datsun or Toyota pick-up. And behind that a decent looking Fiat 850 Sport Coupe.

In pic 3 I'm having trouble identifying the green car with the all glass hatch - Volvo 1800 ES ??

In pic 8, is that red car an early 70's Corolla ??

Gosh...up here this place would be a museum LOL......

The trunk pic...

The picture of the open trunk appears to show the 74 bumper mounting bolts in the trunk, and it looks like the '75-later bumper beam was bolted to 74 brackets with a spacer.

lets solve this!!

and yes, the 75-76 there are no holes in the body for the 74 bumpers. just in the stripe to accommodate them for 74 which aren't there. and yes, there are two holes to hold the bumper mounts as shown in the pics as the shocks took one as opposed two for the 74 only. but the extra hole stayed till the end of production. hmmm. looks like a tweaker car for sure.
I still stand firm that it is a 75-76.
hopefully the seller will e mail or call and we can figure this out.
what the hell.... if I do get this ,the time on the back lawn will be visited as a vacation in the wilderness without bears and coyotes:excited:
mikemo

Love it

this if proof we are car freaks. I dont know what other group of people scan photos for all the cars. My wife gets ticked that I try to dispell movies and TV by them having the wrong year cars in movies.

Odie

It's a '74....

Okay. I'll still bet you the 20 bucks that Papa Tony owes me that it is a '74.

Look at this pic of my X with bumper shocks.

Yeah, okay, this is an '81 - but I'm sure all '75 up with bumper shocks must surely be the same in this area

Now look at this pic of the Craigslist's X;

Note the large bulge (on the frame rail) on mine that intrudes into the well - to make room for the large bumper shock. And note only one bolt hole. Note the Craigslist X is flat in this area with 2 holes - the '74 bumpers just had a thin blade as a mount.

And how do you explain the rest of the points that I raised ?

If....it is a '75-'76 X like you say, then I would think that is only possible if it is a euro car.

Yeah....it's a '74. And where the heck is Eric when we need him ?

So....what are those red and green cars ?

Back