FS: X with 19 miles (not mine)

I’m going to look ignorant, but when did fuel injected cars do away with the tubular plenum?
When did the UK get FI on X1/9s? You would think that it would have come by the "Final Edition" but that sure looks like a carb air cleaner. The document photos list it at 1498cc and the trans looks like a 5 speed. They are claiming 84 hp from whatever it is in there.

This is odd. I thought the GF cars were all after 1986.
As per the sales document, this isn't a "Gran Finale", it's a "Special Edition". The SE was the last official model with brochures, while the GF was a "kit" of add-ons sent to dealers to install to clear their last SE stock - i.e. stick-on GF name plate on the dashboard below the glove box to the right of the badge, similar plates stuck over the rear plastic marker light blanks (there was no marker lights in the UK/Europe), plus the boot spoiler. The spoiler was often fitted back to front, as is this one - the spoiler was available as an accessory I believe and I've seen 'new' GF plates for sale in the past. EDIT : This car doesn't have any of the GF plates fitted, but they're in the pictures - very odd if you're selling a true GF.

The year does seem odd, the only evidence of that is the hand written date on one of the doc. The VIN number looks reasonable for an SE, but I've had two '88 registered standard trim cars and both of them were before 163xxx iirc, while this is claiming to be '86 and is 164370.

Nice motor though :)

When did the UK get FI on X1/9s?
The UK never had FI - all cars were carb'ed.

Last edited:
The car looks new except for the air cleaner which appears to have more like 119,000 miles on it. Not sure I've ever seen one that bad.
I guess these cars rust even if never driven and in protective storage since day one? :p Joking. It is a bit odd how that seems to be the only part that corroded so much. Must have been something to do with the type of finish on it.

This X is a rather rare find. ;) Has anyone ever heard of another X that's never been in use - ever?

I must say, as nice as this example is, I've never understood such odd color combinations as a blue interior with a red body. Ferrari liked to do it on some of their earlier models and the tones of blues and reds were even more contrasting than this one is. I suppose it could be worse though, like green on red. :rolleyes:

I guess these cars rust even if never driven and in protective storage since day one? :p Joking. It is a bit odd how that seems to be the only part that corroded so much. Must have been something to do with the type of finish on it.

This X is a rather rare find. ;) Has anyone ever heard of another X that's never been in use - ever?

I must say, as nice as this example is, I've never understood such odd color combinations as a blue interior with a red body. Ferrari liked to do it on some of their earlier models and the tones of blues and reds were even more contrasting than this one is. I suppose it could be worse though, like green on red. :rolleyes:
Funny. I absolutely love those seats. The confetti seat covers are very cool but the fabric from what I see doesn’t stand up to use very well.

I hope whomever buys it understands that they need to immediately do a complete rebuild.... Every single functional rubber part needs to be replaced before the car is used. And the hydraulic masters and slaves and etc. Leaving a vehicle sitting is very bad for all systems that have fluids, seals, rubber and or moving parts.

I hope whomever buys it understands that they need to immediately do a complete rebuild.... Every single functional rubber part needs to be replaced before the car is used. And the hydraulic masters and slaves and etc. Leaving a vehicle sitting is very bad for all systems that have fluids, seals, rubber and or moving parts.
save the masters and slaves for their core value.

I have an '86, and see a few things that don't seem right.
The top has a smooth finish that doesn't match the rest of the car.
Were those side moldings available in '86? This is the only one I've seen with them.
The (body color!) engine cover has a contrasting rain tray. I didn't think that happened until later.
The paperwork says a radio was fitted; (and it has the antenna in the right place for the wing, not like mine) but has a blanking plate, no radio.
What are those black drips in the trunk down the right wheel well? This near-perfect car shouldn't have anything like that.
Did the UK not get black bumpers? Mine has them.

Last edited:
I sold my 1971BC about a month and went to my Grandson's wedding in Reding California last week. While there I took and old friend to lunch at a Chinese restaurant and got the attached message in my fortune cookie! Having a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket.....I was ready to start inquires into shipping logistics when I noticed the RHD.....so sad as this dog is too old to learn new tricks. I was willing to add stock USA air conditioning but this killed the rush!

Attachments

• IMG_5216[1].JPG
    IMG_5216[1].JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5002[1].JPG
    IMG_5002[1].JPG
    467.3 KB · Views: 38
The only thing besides the clutch, brakes that appeared to contain asbestos on my 74 was the alternator heat shield. Nothing on the panels around the engine except for a few with rubber bits.X19 Alternator Heat Shield with Insulation.jpg

Last edited:
What are those black drips in the trunk down the right wheel well? This near-perfect car shouldn't have anything like that.
I had some kind of Ziebart type spray in undercoating do the same thing on my 86

Back