Honda powered X

racerx

Autoxer
Grassroots Motorsports did an article about A Fiat X1/9 that is powered by Honda engine. I’m looking for that article for my archives. Thanks.

I did put this up on GRM .I put it hear to try and get more results.

there's a number of Honda powered X's out there...

I have one myself...Phil Young has one as well. He's on the Yahoo X1/9 group.

All I can say is, ahh...........really nice conversion. Nice job and should be quite a blast.

Amazing

That is incredible....I'm almost speechless. The coolest thing about this conversion is that you solved as many problems as possible BEFORE putting the engine in the car so that there weren't any secondary issues as a consequence of actually getting everything to work.

It would be very interesting to use a modded K20 in one of these applications, tuned to say....350HP. That would be insane, then outfit with an Abarth Prototipo Replica kit.....that's in dream car territory and supercar performance, reliably, with reasonably good gas mileage!!

Hi Duane,

Thanks for the input.

Funny you should say that, because the next car on the list which we are just waiting for a deposit on in order to commence work, (we have the car in-hand, and most of you know it as a certain black Dallara...) will in-fact be a fully turbo'd K-20. We will have to consume some of the rear trunk for that job, unfortunately, but it should really haul the mail.

While we were doing the job we fabricated as many jigs and templates as possible, for things like the engine mounts, cut points etc. so that we don't have to re-invent every time, and we get as much consistency as possible. We also have an axle shop who now has the axles on-file (solid, not grafted).

The wiring was the biggest challenge, and only because we didn't have the foresight to ask for all of the car-side connectors in addition to what was supplied, so we had to continously scrounge for the correct Honda connectors into things like the ECU, cruise control, etc. Everything on the Honda is pretty much 5v ECU-controlled, so its really challenging to be working with these wispy-thin wires if they are not already in a harness connector.

I'm really not at liberty to disclose exactly what the customer spent on the job here on the forum, but if anyone is interested in emailing me, I'd be happy to discuss further.

I hope to add some detailed video before we deliver the car so that folks can see what it can really do. Its pretty amazing. It will easily kick sideways through an intersection turn in first and second.... lol.

Bad link??

I cannot open that link proparly. I get a quarter a page only.
Is it me?

Browser...

Works ok in Safari, but not in Firefox. In Firefox you get some pics, not all, and lots of black page. :(

Sorry, its a powerpoint saved as HTML, so Active X controls are required. Even some IE installations will give you a security prompt near the address bar. I'll see if future iterations can be done in something other than 'dark-side' technology.

Wow! Makes my 170 hp X seem wimpy!

Beautiful custom job! Its interesting to see the challenges you had to overcome to make this conversion work. I would say that retrofitting a B16 would be easier than what you did but then again it's only a B16. The biggest disadvantage I can see with the B16 swap is that weight of the car shifts to the driver's side due to the block being primarily on that side as well as the driver and fuel tank. Love that color and dual exhaust set up too! I actually found that doing the electricals for my swap wasn't that difficult. I used the Civic's instrument cluster which fits tightly inside of the Fiat's rectangular pod. I'll try to post some photos of my swap soon. I too have a powerpoint presentation of the swap I did but I have no way to host it.

tire question

What brand tire did you use? I'm running the same sizes, but matching front and rear tire tread seems to be an issue. One brand will carry the front and not the rear or vice versa.

Great Job! Would love to see it up close some time when I'm up in Ohio.

deeeam

S#!% Matt that is one of the most impressive things I've seen come across this site in a while! :eek: By the time I got about half way through it I'm thinking, "wonder if I could get the rust cleaned off the '75 carcass and afford a K20 swap?!" lol Not quite in a position (I'm as broke as they come, as usual...) but this is highly inspirational sight to behold for possible future ideas anyway! Nice work :cool:

I want to put a VW 20v turbo into mine. It may not rev as high, but it has much broader power range and more torque then you can put on your morning biscuits.

Awesome!!!...

having limited fabrication skills,always thought/dreamed of somebody from here offering a kit or better.And here comes Matt and does it more better than just better(?????) well,anyway,AWESOME JOB.Would love to see any future videos and more performance #`s as the project gets polished.I know this kind of work is better to be discussed in private with the builder but i would also love to see some general #`s $$ posted.At least just for the powerplant transplant and not all the other stuff that we can do by ourselfs like brakes,suspension etc.Or Maybe like KitCar pricing,phase 1,phase 2,3 etc. for those who would like Matt to do more stuff to their cars.........
Great Job Matt,see if you can kill our curiosity a little bit........thanks,Albert

So THAT'S where that custom cluster went!...

VERY impressive job Matt! Wow!

Hey, I'm not surprised though, after seeing what you've got going on over there.
Congrat's on your success.

Let me know if you need another custom cluster. Also, if the oil light still bothers,
let me know & I'll take care of that for ya.

Thanks for taking the time to share!!

Back