New long time project ideas

You guys have skill sets way beyond mine. I'm going to take another look at this tomorrow. You can't tell from the pic but a previous owner was building it as a drift car!

IMG_3489.jpg

I first saw it this past winter and couldn't make up my mind...it is in worse shape than it looks in the pic. Now I'm working with the guy who bought it while I waffled and I get to drive two hours instead of 30 minutes to go look at at it.

Weird, right! Has a hydraulic hand brake, fuel cell and race seats. If there is one thing we all do with our old Fiats it's defy logic.

Speaking of defying logic, I actually made an offer to buy this today.

IMG_3921.jpg

The thought of actually spending money for this defies any logical reason I can think of. The seller is considering my offer which is unreasonably high by my 1990s standards.

I own a tow dolly currently & had 1 as a kid as well. Towed my recent 500 purchase 3 hours with no issues. I've towed several Elantras 2+ hours & a 280ZX carcass I bought for a 5 speed swap for my 75 280z. Last year I was going to dolly my X from NH to the MWB open house, but a family emergency came up. I wouldn't hesitate to use a dolly. Minimal tongue weight. Only draw back for me is you can't back up once loaded.
Would you have dollied your x facing forward or backwords?

Would you have dollied your x facing forward or backwords?
Definitely forward for me. The dolly is designed to also use the unlocked steering to help tight cornering. You can load a car backwards, but you need to secure the steering wheel to keep the front wheels from moving left & right. It can also put undue strain on the steering lock mechanism. It was also suggested here to remove the rear brake shoes while towing to reduce heat, wear & drag. Some here have said the X roof can catch air & come off towing backwards, but I have no experience with that.

All of us need a Fiat break once in a while. You will be back on this quest a month or so from now. We can wait.

All of us need a Fiat break once in a while. You will be back on this quest a month or so from now. We can wait.
Need the wife to be at the point she forgets I spent money :) by not having a "big" project I should be working on the smaller things on the other fiats. I am one of those people who go crazy with the big things and once it is functional I slack on the finishing up.

Odie

Need the wife to be at the point she forgets I spent money :) by not having a "big" project I should be working on the smaller things on the other fiats. I am one of those people who go crazy with the big things and once it is functional I slack on the finishing up.

Odie
Me too, I also tend to get distracted by new projects and let unfinished existing ones linger.

My family calls me 85% Carl since I get that much done on any project and then move on.

That's easy. Pick the one you want to finish and sell all the others....preferably at a noticeable financial loss.

so looks like I got the ok to move on to adding the next project (138k Student loan is gone after almost 30 years of payments. different topic I will discuss offline if needed, no need to shift it here)
So here is where I am currently heavily researching. A locost 7. I like it because it is small and light, it will be a long term project, Will be learning alot as I go.
was originally looking at a miata for the base as it is quite popular. but my brain keeps slipping to possibly using a 124 spider classic. One of the reasons is because a donor car for the miata is way higher in cost where I could get a rusted out spider pretty cheap. It can be rusted as I would only need the drive train, front and rear hubs/spindles.
on the miata side, I would have IRS, a TON of support and go fast goodies. along with the miata's reliability. (not that a 124 isnt reliable)

Odie.

I would go with the spider drivetrain if for no other reason than the lack of all the electronics....very pure, a carb(s) a distributor and you are done. No boring FI intake plumbing and all the wires and sensors, computer. This car is going to be so light that it should be very sprightly even with a mostly stock 2L.

Back